News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Belton Brick ungooped -- it's what we thought

Started by culturejam, January 07, 2014, 11:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Jacob and Angelo, you're probably right. I think it's partly in everyone's nature to look at the word "goop" and cry foul, but I did very much appreciate that it was a thing I could hold onto, toss around, and put on a shelf without worrying about damage.

alanp

Some old synth stuff (chiefly ARP, I think) gooped modules for temperature stabilization -- it's no good if your oscillators drift out of tune every two minutes.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

lincolnic

Quote from: alanp on January 08, 2014, 08:19:43 PM
Some old synth stuff (chiefly ARP, I think) gooped modules for temperature stabilization -- it's no good if your oscillators drift out of tune every two minutes.

Doesn't this actually promote overheating? In API mic pres, the 2520 op-amps are potted, and when they break the most common explanation I see is that the potting led to overheating.

Don't know if that's actually true, but it's "common knowledge" amongst some people.

slacker775

Perhaps the goop acts as a heat sink in some way.   Or not....

alanp

http://www.till.com/arptech/modintro.htm

The goal was to have the components at the SAME temperature, not to keep the temperature low.

This link covers it, and mentions the whole concealment angle as well :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

I've gooped specialized test equipment that was being sent overseas.  There are two good reasons for it:

1). Proprietary hardware

2). For test equipment, if they copy it to test your parts and copy it wrong, it can get pretty ugly fast.

In one particular case, the hardware was proprietary but the risk was FAR greater for the second case.  It was difficult to put it together and very easy to come up with something that yields the wrong answer.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

rullywowr

Quote from: pickdropper on January 10, 2014, 02:38:12 PMIt was difficult to put it together and very easy to come up with something that yields the wrong answer.

So it was an DMM clone then?  Jk :)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!