News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Belton Brick ungooped -- it's what we thought

Started by culturejam, January 07, 2014, 11:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

First reported (in English) on FreeStompBoxes. I didn't see it post here yet, so if I missed the thread, I apologize for the dupes.
http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=23706

So yeah, it's 3x PT2399 with a gang of passives, a logic gate (or whatever it is), and an op amp. All surface mount.

Not sure if this is the final/verified schematic, but this is pretty close:

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jubal81

1. I'm pretty sure I'd rather pay $20 than put all that together.
2. Forget No. 1 when someone makes a layout with adjustable decay.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

culturejam

Quote from: jubal81 on January 07, 2014, 11:42:24 AM

Even better, assuming that the brick is not super-hard to open up, any parameters should be able to be controlled externally. So you could have the best of both worlds.

Thomas_H

The patent didnt show the values of the parts. Good to have them now.
I wanted to do a version of the brick without the modulation. Now I can :-)

Is this verified?
Soemone successfully breadborded it?
DIY-PCBs and projects:

selfdestroyer

midwayfair

Quote from: culturejam on January 07, 2014, 11:59:07 AM
Quote from: jubal81 on January 07, 2014, 11:42:24 AM

Even better, assuming that the brick is not super-hard to open up, any parameters should be able to be controlled externally. So you could have the best of both worlds.

Or add Pin 7 LEDs! No more distorted bricks! :D

Ettore_M

Mother Russia did it again!  ;D

That's pretty awesome! And it can be done with the right PCB design!
It would be nice if someone here did a project (SMD of course) that has the extra mods (the ones Thomas and Jon mentioned, and of course any other mod that could do it better).! ;)

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

jkokura

Not surprised here. Wouldn't mind seeing the pics though.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Thomas_H

DIY-PCBs and projects:

culturejam

chromesphere

This is good news!  Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.  All sorts of possibilities now. Awesome!
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

destro

Did seeing the guts unveil how the modulation is being introduced into the circuit? There has been discussion of whether the short bricks have it verse the long. Would be another nice thing to have control over.

Beedoola

Quote from: Thomas_H on January 07, 2014, 12:14:13 PM
The patent didnt show the values of the parts. Good to have them now.
I wanted to do a version of the brick without the modulation. Now I can :-)

Is this verified?
Soemone successfully breadborded it?

yes!!! I've been wanting that too!!!

culturejam

Quote from: destro on January 07, 2014, 06:58:35 PM
Did seeing the guts unveil how the modulation is being introduced into the circuit? There has been discussion of whether the short bricks have it verse the long. Would be another nice thing to have control over.

As was mentioned a few posts up, the larger older brick is the one that was degooped. That one doesn't seem to have nearly the same level of modulation as the newer smaller bricks.

Check out this hand-drawn trace from the same Russian thread:
http://i.imgur.com/9lfFsu8.jpg

The interesting thing (to me) is the single Schmitt Trigger connected pins 13/14 on the middle PT2399 (but not the others). I haven't really had a deep look at the whole schematic, but it would seem that Schmitt is set up as a dead-simple relaxation oscillator that is (maybe?) filtered by the internal op amp on pins 13/14, which is then used to oscillate pin 6 (delay time). Not exactly sure yet how it all works together, but it will be something fun to chew on for a while.

That alone is a really cool thing to explore. But I would be careful in proceeding with that because the circuit is covered under a real-deal patent.  :o :'( ;D