News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Solder tip size?

Started by pauloman80, May 20, 2010, 09:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauloman80

What size have you found to be the best for PCB builds?  The ones I have are a bit large and tend to make the soldering a tad challenging.  If you have part #'s on Small Bear or Mouser of your faves, that'd be even better.
--------------------------------------------------
Regards,
pauloman80

andywragg

For PCB soldering i use a 25w soldering iron with a point tip. I also have another tip which is the more classical chamfered edge, about 3mm radius chamfered at 30 degrees. I dont use that much though just the point tip.

hope this helps.

Haberdasher

Well- you'll probably want to hear from some builders more experienced than I- but I've been using the 1/32" tip that came on my Xytronics station.  The thought of getting a 1/16" tip for it has crossed my mind, but so far so good with the 1/32...

BTW, I've been using .031" diameter no-clean 63/37 solder.  I got a kg of it for about $20 here.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

gtr2

What is the no clean solder?
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Haberdasher

I'm no expert, but IIRC the older kind of solder had a resin core that would leave behind a slightly conductive & corrosive film that could mess your board up over time and possibly create an undesirable bridge between joints.  People used to have to go and clean their boards up with alcohol after they were finished soldering.  I guess the no clean solder uses a core that doesn't require that.

I think most of the solder nowadays is no clean.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

madbean

The resin is not conductive, but it is junky. A toothbrush will clean most of it. I used some MG Chemical stuff recently that had a LOT of resin in it. Just plain ugly. But, the Kester stuff is super clean and melts like a virgin on prom night, uhh, works really well.

pauloman80

Quote from: madbean on May 24, 2010, 05:29:58 PM
... But, the Kester stuff is super clean and melts like a virgin on prom night, uhh, works really well.

HAH!!! :D

I've been using plain Radio Shack 60-40 rosin core, if there's something better I'll absolutely get it.  What's your preferred solder?
--------------------------------------------------
Regards,
pauloman80

madbean

The Kester is 63/37/.031.