News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Graphic - Salacious "Spyder" Spread

Started by davent, January 22, 2014, 12:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Hi Guys, Finished this up last night. Had the transformers for a few years but didn't get the final bits to complete it 'til last month. Geofex "Spyder"-ish build, nine independent 9vdc ouputs, 8 @ ~50mA and one double that based around the LM317 regulator. A bunch of mis-ordered power jacks, ugly ugly and nasty to work with Tayda led bezels, a bag of LM317's and big baggy of gifted 2N4002's now depleted.

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/spyder/spyder.htm

Squeezed into a 10" × 6"  Hammond chassis. Stuff like this i usually spray the chassis with rubberized rocker panel paint but it's months before the outside world will be cooperating for that so had to make-do with the indoor paint box.

First boards i've used the endoscope drill rig on, worked well, accuracy is dead-on and sped things up for me a lot. Just use ExpressPCB for doing layouts then to Inkscape to dress'em up and finally to photo-sensitive pcb's for the etch.

Fires up fine, still have to try it out on pedals.

dave

ed. spelling/grammar
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

midwayfair

doze diodes.

ffffffffine.

Dude, that's so beautiful all around.

jkokura

Brilliantly clean Dave. Well done.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Cortexturizer

Absolutely stunning. So much wallpaper material amongst those pictures...
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

jubal81

Those PCBs look like they came from a fab house. Wow!
Really top-notch work. This is a great one.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Jabulani Jonny

That made my BBE Supacharger cry a little 9v tear. That's just sick really.

I do have to wonder with these projects if the cost justifies the end result though. Is it really just a power supply?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan

hoodoo

Wow mate, your attention to detail, floors me everytime, this is well and truly, pro quality artistry at it's finest. Is there a reason to raise the components off the board, or is it purely aesthetics, either/or looks mighty fine. All the best, Matt.

billstein

I grovel in the presence of this awesomeness. Just stunning.

ncdb07

ncdb07
Daniel

lincolnic

Beautiful all around. Never thought I'd be jealous of a power supply, but you've gone and proven me wrong.

davent

Thanks for the kind words guys, greatly appreciated!

@Hoodoo, i suppose just a carry over from doing tube supplies where the power resistors can get hot enough to scorch the boards so they're raised to prevent that and allow better air circulation for cooling... hardly an issue here so mainly aesthetics.

@Jabulani Jonny, yeah costs do add up in a hurry, here mostly the 5 transformers (less then the single Weber) and the chassis but also the cost of the One Spot i bought as it looked like these transformers had found a permanent home on the abandoned-and-ignored shelf.

If i had to justify the dollar cost in doing this stuff i couldn't do it, i get stoked in the playing/messing around and creating something/anything, when my interest wanes and it does, there always something else to get consumed by for a while and then... abandoned.

Thanks guys!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

juansolo

Spectacular work as always. Stunning stuff!  8)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

stevie1556

Great build. I must admit  I do enjoy looking at the pictures of your finished boxes!

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

neve1272

that is such a pro job
ill second the etch is so clean
Kip

pickdropper

Really great build.

I love the photos.  The angles make the components look like a small army in formation.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper