News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First Build - Aristocrat

Started by ckalinec, March 10, 2011, 02:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ckalinec

Well I decided I can post this now that I plugged it in and everything worked. I didn't get to make my rounds with it cause I wasn't using my stuff just loaning for a few minutes to see if it worked. And yes those caps are HUGE!

Also, I'll get a pic later with all the knobs on it. Don't have a tiny screwdriver here on campus
And the sparkle white enclosure looks WAY better in person

jkokura

Those caps are AWESOME! I've not seen them before. Can you tell us more about them?

Also, are you worried about moving the knobs when you step on the switches?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

ckalinec

I had to get those caps at Radioshack when I realized I ordered the wrong thing from small bear for those 2 values

About the switches, I was until I wired it up and stepped on it. Those small MXR Knobs are shorter than the switches so the didn't move.

Like I said I haven't really got to put this pedal through the rounds yet

bigmufffuzzwizz

Man those caps rule! Wish you had a better picture of the paint job. It looks smoooth and sparkly :o
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

gtr2

Mojo at "the shack"  :D

Nice work!  That looks like a tight squeeze...
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

ckalinec

Very tight squeeze! That's why those caps are bent down lol

redbean

Great job! I'll be building one of those too, as soon as all the parts arrive.  ;D

es là-bas!!

ckalinec

Thought I would update with the knobs on it.

Unfortunately this OD does not mesh well with my amp at all. It sounds good with my small amp but when I plug it into my V22 it just doesn't sound good. Bummer. I guess I'll be selling it to fund some more builds

madmac

Quote from: ckalinec on March 14, 2011, 06:22:34 PM

Unfortunately this OD does not mesh well with my amp at all. It sounds good with my small amp but when I plug it into my V22 it just doesn't sound good. Bummer. I guess I'll be selling it to fund some more builds

I'm surprised that you don't like it given that we play similar music.  It has been my go to pedal for the last few years.  What diodes did you use?  I prefer the 4580D chip rather than the 4558 - gives it a bit more clarity and more transparent. What is it that you don't like about it maybe you could just mod it to your taste?

bigmufffuzzwizz

:o :o That is insanly bright!!! What value did you use for your CLR?

ckalinec

Quote from: madmac on March 14, 2011, 10:47:29 PM

I'm surprised that you don't like it given that we play similar music.  It has been my go to pedal for the last few years.  What diodes did you use?  I prefer the 4580D chip rather than the 4558 - gives it a bit more clarity and more transparent. What is it that you don't like about it maybe you could just mod it to your taste?

I used all the original diodes that it called for. The only sub I used was for the IC. I just got an email saying my 4580D should be in when I get back on campus after this week. I'll give it another shot when that comes in.

It's weird though, I liked the pedal on my small 5 watt practice amp a lot. Thought it sounded great. But when I played it sunday morning on my V22 it just didn't mesh well. I think I remember madbean saying for some reason he felt that his personal Aristocrat didn't sound very good on his AC15. the V22 is fairly Vox voiced so maybe that's my problem. Oh well. This will definitely not be my last build by any means!

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on March 15, 2011, 04:31:12 PM
:o :o That is insanly bright!!! What value did you use for your CLR?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by CLR but yes the blue LED is ridiculously bright! I put a purple one in the left and it's perfect. I guess that's the nature of the beast when it comes to blue LEDs. Note taken lol

bigmufffuzzwizz

CLR is the current limiting resistor. Would be connected to the LED and 9V+.

jkokura

You can lower the brightness by increasing the value of the resistor. I would at least try and match the brightness between the two LEDs if you can, even if you don't keep the pedal. The next guy will appreciate you.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

ckalinec

^^ Ahh ok. I gotcha. I used a 4.7K on both. I'll try and up the value before I sell it if I do. It's very annoying having them both different brightnesses.

When I sell it/ if I sell it how much should I ask? I was thinking $150? That should give me plenty more to make another build. I'm also trying to buy a Classic Vibe Custom Tele so maybe that'll help me with that.

I'm not dead set on selling it yet. Gonna give it one more shot with the 4580D when I can get it in there.

I'm really bummed this pedal didn't sound like I wanted it to. I was super hyped! lol

madmac

[

I used all the original diodes that it called for. The only sub I used was for the IC. I just got an email saying my 4580D should be in when I get back on campus after this week. I'll give it another shot when that comes in.

It's weird though, I liked the pedal on my small 5 watt practice amp a lot. Thought it sounded great. But when I played it sunday morning on my V22 it just didn't mesh well. I think I remember madbean saying for some reason he felt that his personal Aristocrat didn't sound very good on his AC15. the V22 is fairly Vox voiced so maybe that's my problem. Oh well. This will definitely not be my last build by any means!

If your amp is "Vox" inspired its probably fairly bright.  If you haven't already I would check to make sure that your internal trimpots are turned all the way off.  You could also sub in some different caps for C1 and C12 as suggested in the build doc. to add some more bass.