News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Stripping an enclosure

Started by flanagan0718, February 06, 2014, 01:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

Hey Guys,
    I have an old pedal enclosure that has some graphics on it. I was wondering what you would use to strip those off it. Any tricks or tips? It is a Electro-harmonix style enclosure. Thanks.

rullywowr

Liquid "Aircraft" stripper seems to work well for most paint and powdercoat finishes.  You apply, let sit, and then scrape off the excess.  It's nasty stuff, so be careful (gloves/eye protection).  Used with a scraper and metal wire brush works great.  If you have access to a sandblaster, that is the ultimate finishing touch.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

davent

Why not just give a quick sanding to smooth things out then re-prime and paint?
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

stevie1556

Dump it in a pot of acetone for 30 mins. Wear gloves though otherwise your nails become very brittle (yes, I am talking from experience :().

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

chromesphere

Paint stripper works fastest and most effective for me (especially if its power coating).  Be careful with it though, its nasty stuff.
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

TreeSlayer

Quote from: davent on February 06, 2014, 03:19:08 PM
Why not just give a quick sanding to smooth things out then re-prime and paint?
dave
+1
"At the line it's just you, me and the tree." the TreeSlayer

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King

flanagan0718

These are all good suggestions, it's a behringer "vintage" pedal that broke. I ripped the guts out and kept the enclosure. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clayford

I'd just sand the enclosure then with some 160 or 220 and up to get rid of the decal you'll need to anyway to get it ready to take paint etc. Soaking in some paint thinner before sanding might not be a bad idea. Acetone works but it's a sledgehammer for a finishing nail.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded