News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Using a pot in place of a trimmer

Started by mattc, January 30, 2014, 07:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattc

Total noob question here...

How do I use a pot in place of a trimmer?   I tried to use a 100k pot for the volume on my Weener boost, but I couldn't get it working.  Using a trimmer, the whole thing fired up and worked great.

jimilee

Should be pretty straight forward. They work the same way. Usually are 1 3               
                                                                                                        2
or 123 depending on the trimmer.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Scruffie

Yup... a trimmer is a pot in a smaller package, only thing is you don't get tapered trimmers usually so there is no A, B or C pots, they're all linear... other than perhaps special instances.
Works at Lectric-FX

mattc

Ok.... that makes sense, each lug goes to each solder point on the board.   I guess my confusion comes from the diagram from the Weener Wah build doc, where lugs two and three are tied together.  What is the purpose of that?

Thanks again.

rullywowr

Depending on the circuit it may call for two of the lugs to be tied together.  Same applies for trimmers just tie together if it calls for it.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

mattc

rullywowr

Glad to help.  Just for extra credit and understanding...if you look at the traces on the PCB in the image you posted, lugs 1 + 2 are tied together with a PCB trace (in red color).  If you use an external pot in this scenario, you can tie 1 + 2 together on the pot which will allow you not to have to run 3 wires to the PCB.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

mattc