News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Splitter box

Started by Jazzman, March 16, 2011, 05:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jazzman

Quick noob question guys... If I'm using a buffered fx pedal and I want to split the signal into 2 outputs running simultaneously, does the splitter box also have to be buffered or can I simply do the old trick of one input jack wired to 2 output jacks passively?  ???

B_of_H

i'm not sure on the splitter box question but along the same lines here is some possibly useful info. 

On tgp one time I asked if anyone knew how to reverse phase simply with a diy circuit.  Kimock responded that any simple single stage booster will do the trick and I tested it out using the following: slambox, thunderpuss, fat pants and a stratoblaster.  all of them reversed phase on one of the outputs perfectly.

just fwiw/fyi

I was using a boss octave pedal to split the signal at the time. 

jkokura

Yes you can passively split the signal. You can also buffer it. I'll post a schem later for the IC based splitter/buffer circuit I use.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jkokura

Here's a thread I posted in on BYOC a long while back. This was actually one of the first projects I made my own layout for. You can find my post on the first page, I retrofited a passive volume pedal so it would be a buffered splitter (so either feeding a tuner or feeding a second parallel path). Just this morning I've whipped up a schematic so you can load this into eagle and work on it yourself. It will likely show up in the 'member submitted build docs' section soon as a full project.
http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=18466

It also seems Forest has done some work for me. This is more complicated than the one I just posted above:
http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=27221
http://www.forrestwhitesides.com/files/up/docs/splitter/Simple_Buffered_Splitter.pdf

Jacob

[attachment deleted by admin]
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Myramyd

Quote from: B_of_H on March 16, 2011, 08:19:44 AM
Any simple single stage booster will do the trick and I tested it out using the following: slambox, thunderpuss, fat pants and a stratoblaster.  all of them reversed phase on one of the outputs perfectly.

Hey B_of_H, I'm also thinking about building a splitter and would like to reverse phase of one of the outputs. So do you just place that pedal after one of the outputs and it reverses phase then? I have a slambox and a fatpants.

I wanted to try splitting into both channels of my DRRI to see what happens.  :P

J

jkokura

If you reverse the phase of a parallel signal you get cancellations which don't lead to a pleasant sound. It might be an interesting effect, but you'd probably not really use it for any sort of live application. It would be neat as an experiement, but there are plenty of pedals that invert the phase of the signal, you probably have some already. I think there's a big list over at TGP somewhere...

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Myramyd

Well, the DRRI has phase-reversed inputs between the two channels, which is why I ask.

Also, to the original poster, if you build it with a buffer then you will always have a buffered version if you change setups later. I had also thought of building it somehow so that you could bypass the buffer, that way you have both options for now and the future. Where the buffer itself is splitting the signal I'm guess that would be tough to do.

J

jkokura

I didn't realize that about the DRRI, in that case, inverting would actually fix the problem wouldn't it?

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Jazzman

Thanks heaps guys, it's so awesome to get some much feedback (excuse the pun) so quickly! I'll take everything onboard and no doubt have plenty of more questions for you all!  ;D