News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Question about clear coat and enclosure finishing

Started by thetrend77, March 17, 2011, 11:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chi_Boy

Quote from: gtr2 on March 17, 2011, 12:22:07 PM

I would always sand a lot and prime them first.  I don't paint enclosures any more though.  I buy them powder coated, decal them, and use the process I listed above.  Unless you are painting your enclosures all the same color the paint and enclosure cost end up more than just buying a powder coated enclosure.  Plus the time involved...

Josh

Josh,

I'm considering trying the Polycrylic you posted about, but I'm concerned about the adhesion to the powdercoat.  Everyone says you need the paint for plastic or you'll get flaking.  Do you do anything special to the base before clearing?  It almost sounds too good to be true, but if it if, it sounds like the ultimate in simplicity.

Thanks,
George

gtr2

George,

I do nothing to the powdercoated enclosure, it adheres fine.  The polycrylic kind of bonds to itself if that makes any sense...  I just wipe it off to take any oils from my handling before I spray.  It's as simple as it seems  :o

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Chi_Boy

Thanks Josh,

That sounds VERY cool.  I'm getting ready to buy my first powder coated boxes from PPP and will try my new DecalProFx system when they get here.  With the polycrylic the finish will be so easy it will be like cheating.  I almost feel guilty!

Thanks again,
George