News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wampler Paisley

Started by billstein, February 18, 2014, 06:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Here's the third build report I wanted to get up tonight.

It is a stock Wampler Paisley on vero. The faceplate is a combination of allowing the copper to show through in some places and tinning other areas. Then my new best friend Envirotex.

I am not proud of this wiring at all. It started well and I was really trying but it went way south on me. There is a lot going on in there, 3 pots and 2 switches plus the LED. I also had to jam some cardstock in there to keep it from shorting. But hey it works and sounds great!

Now to my shame.  :-[

alanp

The copper, silver, black, and epoxy coat make that enclosure achingly elegant and beautiful.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

muddyfox

Quote from: billstein on February 18, 2014, 06:18:08 AM

Now to my shame.  :-[

Having built quite a bit on vero, I've learned that there's no point in trying to keep the wiring as short as possible. Any surplus length can be hidden between the pots. An extra 1/2 inch of white, yellow and black in your picture could have hidden it behind the board; instead of going across the board you could have gone over the closest edge (right) and then underneath to the 3pdt. If there's enough spagnetti in there it can even serve as spacer/insulator so you don't short the board to the pots.  ::)
The same goes for the red, green and blue wires. Just go to the edge closest to your solderpoint and tuck it underneath and in between the pots, just like you did with purple, green and grey. Yes, it's a mess under there but it's the invisible kind which is the name of the game with vero builds.  ;D
Also, I can't really judge the heights of your elcos and it may not be applicable in this case but sometimes it pays off to leave leads longer and lay the elcos flat (like you did with the transistors). Sometimes it only takes a millimetre to make the board fit the enclosure (especially with vero and 1590B) and with certain elco sizes laying it over the resistors gets you that.

And as for the box, it's a bangup job that I'd like to be able to replicate before I kick the bucket. Stellar!

EDIT: just for reference, this is my SWAW. There are four pots and a LED with CLR underneath the vero. A little planning goes a long way.  ;)

m-Kresol

This is incredible! I love the etch. I think you already described somewhere, how you did it, but I wouldn't mind for a pictured tutorial ;)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

bcalla

Just beautiful!  I need to learn how to do that.

blearyeyes

WOW! Great choice on the knobs not to mention the artwork. You are doing amazing work.

Jabulani Jonny

Okay, this is fantastic!  Can someone point me to a faceplate etching tutorial?  How'd you get the other colors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan

Droogie

Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

lincolnic

This looks so good. Are those switch washers countersunk, or is that just a trick of the photo?

billstein

Quote from: muddyfox on February 18, 2014, 07:14:12 AM
Having built quite a bit on vero, I've learned that there's no point in trying to keep the wiring as short as possible. Any surplus length can be hidden between the pots. An extra 1/2 inch of white, yellow and black in your picture could have hidden it behind the board; instead of going across the board you could have gone over the closest edge (right) and then underneath to the 3pdt. If there's enough spagnetti in there it can even serve as spacer/insulator so you don't short the board to the pots.  ::)
The same goes for the red, green and blue wires. Just go to the edge closest to your solderpoint and tuck it underneath and in between the pots, just like you did with purple, green and grey. Yes, it's a mess under there but it's the invisible kind which is the name of the game with vero builds.  ;D
Also, I can't really judge the heights of your elcos and it may not be applicable in this case but sometimes it pays off to leave leads longer and lay the elcos flat (like you did with the transistors). Sometimes it only takes a millimetre to make the board fit the enclosure (especially with vero and 1590B) and with certain elco sizes laying it over the resistors gets you that.

And as for the box, it's a bangup job that I'd like to be able to replicate before I kick the bucket. Stellar!

EDIT: just for reference, this is my SWAW. There are four pots and a LED with CLR underneath the vero. A little planning goes a long way.  ;)

Thank you for taking the time to explain your method that is really helpful and that SWAW is amazing!

billstein

Quote from: lincolnic on February 19, 2014, 05:35:16 AM
This looks so good. Are those switch washers countersunk, or is that just a trick of the photo?

No countersinking just a trick of the photo.

billstein

Thank you everybody for the kind words. When my schedule lightens up a bit so I can finish up a couple boxes I've already started and figure out what the next build should be, I'll attempt to do a pictorial.

I'm starting to be comfortable with the process and I'm looking forward to sharing it with everybody.

raulduke

Thats a really neat build dude.

Nice work!

Chi_Boy

That enclosure really is stunning.

billstein

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on February 19, 2014, 12:46:31 AM
Okay, this is fantastic!  Can someone point me to a faceplate etching tutorial?  How'd you get the other colors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Jonny. I will try to produce a pictorial of the process I use as soon as my schedule will allow.