News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Movie Thread....what are you watching?

Started by peAk, February 21, 2014, 06:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead - Highly enjoyable low/no budget zombie movie. Very tongue-in-cheek with a great Aussie sense of humour. Take it for what it is and you'll enjoy it. Get it on disc to watch the making of diary which is also a lot of fun.

The Void - If this film had come out in the 80's it'd have been lauded a masterpiece, now... it's a little shonky. Heavy Lovecraftian overtones (without actually infringing any copyrights), mixed in with a whole dolopload of 80's John Carpenter and Clive Barker. Loved the use of practical effects for a proper old-school vibe. There's just something better when it's done that way. Shame the acting and script were a bit rough. It's nothing that wasn't done way better by the masters, but if you like those old horror films, you'll probably enjoy this.

Avengers: Infinity War - Expected this to be a complete dogs dinner due to it having EVERY MARVEL CHARACTER EVER in it. Thankfully they all play second fiddle to the main driver of the story, and because of this it works. Marvel's Empire Strikes Back... Though not as good ;)

Deadpool 2 - Wasn't sure they could do the same again and it not be stale. I was proved wrong.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

trailer

Loved the The Void! I wish more horror/sci-fi film makers would get on board with mostly practical effects.

Govmnt_Lacky

Speaking of horror movies....

The new Halloween movie. What in the hell were they thinking? How old is Michael Myers supposed to be now? 60? 65?? Shouldn't he be planning for retirement and cashing in his Roth IRA instead of slashing people?

alanp

This is a corporate franchise -- the safe option, always the safe option. In this case, an established character, rather than take the trouble to come up with something new, which always carries the risk of the fans going, "What a bloody rip-off of those other characters! Piss on that!"
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: alanp on September 26, 2018, 09:31:24 AM
This is a corporate franchise -- the safe option, always the safe option. In this case, an established character, rather than take the trouble to come up with something new, which always carries the risk of the fans going, "What a bloody rip-off of those other characters! Piss on that!"

True... however, I am wondering why they didn't option to re-make the franchise???

They could have had endless possibilities and still tied into the original plot/storyline. Instead, we get a sexagenerian still running around in a whited out Captain Kirk mask  ::)

alanp

Andre the Giant will live on in legend due to The Princess Bride, and Fezzik, IMO. Wrestlers come and go, but a good movie like that?

Him, and Inigo Montoya.

"Give me everything I ask for!"

"Everything you want, and more."

*stab through the heart*

"I want my father back, you son of a bitch."
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

somnif

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 26, 2018, 11:35:23 AM
True... however, I am wondering why they didn't option to re-make the franchise???

They could have had endless possibilities and still tied into the original plot/storyline. Instead, we get a sexagenerian still running around in a whited out Captain Kirk mask  ::)

Because Rob Zombie tried that, and it was... not great.

Willybomb

I've got a stack of things I want to get around to watching.... Bohemian Rhapsody for one.

juansolo

When I go around to a friends house, I get subjected to bad films... These last two visits:

Venom: Strangely enjoyable shite. Not sure I'd ever choose to watch it again, but it was amusing while I was, for all the wrong reasons.

Ocean's 8: How 11 ever had a sequel, never mind 2 is beyond me. The first was an enjoyable heist thing with it's own style I suppose. The rest were awful. The tradition continues here, the only change being the guys are swapped out for girls. I'm trying to think of any redeeming features and I'm honestly coming up dry.

Almost forgot, also watched:

Ant-man and the Wasp: That was ok, ultimately just more of the same. Not as good as the first as you'd expect.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

flanagan0718

Quote from: juansolo on February 24, 2019, 01:31:09 AM
When I go around to a friends house, I get subjected to bad films... These last two visits:

Venom: Strangely enjoyable shite. Not sure I'd ever choose to watch it again, but it was amusing while I was, for all the wrong reasons.

Ant-man and the Wasp: That was ok, ultimately just more of the same. Not as good as the first as you'd expect.

I agree on both of these. I am a huge Venom fan and this movie was almost as bad as casting Topher Grace as Eddie Brock...oh wait that happened. I was excited to hear that Tom Hardy was staring in the movie. But then I saw the trailer and realized that they were trying to remake Jim Carey's Liar Liar in antihero form. SPOILER ALERT the Easter egg at the end of the credits: Really!! Woody Harrelson in a red clown wig!?!? I hope that isn't who they plan on playing Carnage. That would be unwatchable.

As for Antman and the Wasp, it was good. More of the same but entertaining non the less. I thought Ghost was well done.

I watched Slenderman last night. It was awful!! Don't bother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EBK

I just recently watched Valley Uprising.  It's a documentary about the history of the sport of rock climbing in the Yosemite Valley.  Good storytelling, nice photography.  Nice vicarious adventure experience.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

matmosphere

Took the kids to Into The Spider-Verse and enjoyed every minute. It was fun as hell and well written. It has a good visual style. Better than most of the Marvel movie imo, best Spidey other than homecoming.

Ant-Man and Wasp was alright. I am glad they found a place for someone like Paul Rudd in these movies.

Bohemian Rhapsody was enjoyable. I know it took a few historical liberties but they did a good job with live performances and hinted at what band acrimony can be like. It's biggest issue was that sometimes it wanted to be about the band but mostly it wanted to be about Mercury. Committing to one or the other would have helped.

Muadzin

I recently discovered Helsreach on youtube. Finally someone managed to animate the world of Warhammer 40K and do it with a good story. Of course by using Aaron Bowden Demski's novel that's pretty much guaranteed. One guy did all the animation on his own computer and at first it shows. But gradually with every episode the animation improves and towards the end it gets stunning. No wonder Games Workship hired this guy to do an official W40K animated series.

First ten episodes were bundled together, the final three are still separate.

madbean

This is actually kind of a fun movie if you accept that it is stupidly self-aware. The first 5 minutes are ridiculous (they obviously ran out of their cg budget) but it gets better from there.

EBK

I watched John Carter recently as a somewhat random Netflix pick.  I enjoyed it enough that I went to Project Gutenberg to download the book it was based on, A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Borroughs.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber