News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Movie Thread....what are you watching?

Started by peAk, February 22, 2014, 02:32:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Over the weekend, I watched the Bernie Madoff movie with DeNiro playing the old ponzi master. It was very good, and also quite sad.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

EBRAddict

I watched Patriot's Day (Boston Marathon bombings) and The Founder (McDonalds' founder story) over the weekend. They aren't my typical choices but both were pretty good.

sonnyboy27

Saw King Arthur over the weekend. I really enjoyed it (as did the wife). Great soundtrack. I'm also partial to Guy Ritchie's editing style.

raulduke

I was looking forward to Covenant but will leave it. I've also seen all the mixed reviews.

Shame as I actually quite enjoyed Prometheus.

I agree on Fassbender... he's top notch. One of my favourite actors. Stands out in pretty much every film he's been in.

The new Blade Runner looks interesting with Dennis Villeneuve directing. I thought Sicario was amazing, and I've heard great things about Arrival.

flanagan0718

I finally got around to watching Rebel One (I'm probably going to be crucified for this), I didn't like it. I though the story line was weak, and it took WAY too long to get going. The one redeeming quality was the A-hole droid. He was pretty funny. But overall, I'm glad i didn't see it in the theaters.

stringsthings

Just watched "A Cure for Wellness".   I enjoyed it quite a bit.  It's not the best horror movie I've ever seen,
but I think fans of the genre will like it.   It's extremely well filmed and it just looks great from a film-making perspective.
The acting is solid.

The plot is a bit flimsy, especially towards the end where things feel a bit rushed.  It's a long movie, so watching it at home
was a good idea. 

It has an old-school vibe to it that I enjoyed quite a bit. 
All You Need Is Love

jimilee

Quote from: stringsthings on July 20, 2017, 09:54:27 AM
Just watched "A Cure for Wellness".   I enjoyed it quite a bit.  It's not the best horror movie I've ever seen,
but I think fans of the genre will like it.   It's extremely well filmed and it just looks great from a film-making perspective.
The acting is solid.

The plot is a bit flimsy, especially towards the end where things feel a bit rushed.  It's a long movie, so watching it at home
was a good idea. 

Reminded me of an old Vincent Price  style movie. Just saw planet of the apes. It was better the first time when it was apocalypse now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

flanagan0718

The acting is solid.

was a good idea. 

Been meaning to check this out. I'll have to give it a watch.

New(ish) Movies I've seen and enjoyed
-John Wick Chapter 2 (all around BAD ASS)
-Jason Borne (pretty good)
-Moana (I was off for 2 weeks with my daughter...still not a fan of the Rock but it was tolerable)
-Despicable Me 3 (great movie and the villain in it was so funny)

alanp

Moana was better than I expected.

Understandable how they changed his fish hook from, originally, his grandmother's jawbone, to simply just a "magic" fish hook.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

stringsthings

Quote from: jimilee on July 20, 2017, 03:30:12 PM
The acting is solid.

was a good idea. 

Reminded me of an old Vincent Price  style movie.

Exactly!   

I can't get enough of "The Abominable Dr. Phibes"!
All You Need Is Love

Leevibe

Watched Dunkirk in 70mm projection last night. I very much enjoyed the experience. An amazing film.

culturejam

Quote from: alanp on July 20, 2017, 05:46:57 PM
Moana was better than I expected.

My daughter got into this about 2 weeks ago. I've seen it no less than 30 times since then. It's AWESOME. The music is just fantastic. I walk around humming it all day. Lin Manuel Miranda is a talented man.

Also, the guy who does the voice of Moana's dad is the same guy who played Jango Fett.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

alanp

VIOLENCE WARNING -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz0CAn6zHY4

Also the actor who played Jake the Muss, which is the role I really remember Temuera Morrison for.

Skip to 1m for when he appears in that clip.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

TNblueshawk

Quote from: Leevibe on July 22, 2017, 06:17:20 PM
Watched Dunkirk in 70mm projection last night. I very much enjoyed the experience. An amazing film.

I saw it last weekend and enjoyed it. Part of me says I wish they would have included some of the front line action that was taking place. But then the other part said no, we have enough of those and it was good to just keep to the escape aspect of things.

Any thoughts on if you think they should have included more fighting that was taking place on the front line?
John

TNblueshawk

Rented Ghost in a Shell last night. Yeah...well...I didn't rent it for the quality of the movie. I don't recommend it unless you like staring at Scarlett for 2 hours   8)

If you don't like staring at Scarlett for 2 hours then DO NOT rent this movie.

Oh, and make an eye appointment asap.
John