News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Movie Thread....what are you watching?

Started by peAk, February 22, 2014, 02:32:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

Quote from: TNblueshawk on July 27, 2017, 07:50:17 PM
Quote from: Leevibe on July 22, 2017, 06:17:20 PM
Watched Dunkirk in 70mm projection last night. I very much enjoyed the experience. An amazing film.

I saw it last weekend and enjoyed it. Part of me says I wish they would have included some of the front line action that was taking place. But then the other part said no, we have enough of those and it was good to just keep to the escape aspect of things.

Any thoughts on if you think they should have included more fighting that was taking place on the front line?

I feel like there are already plenty of movies that have that focus. I really liked this story and the way it was all put together. The aerial stuff was awesome. If there was anything I wanted more of it would have been more Spitfires please!! Sound was off the charts good. And a Hans Zimmer score. Just watched it again. It's much easier to follow the second time around and it held my attention just as well as the first time.

flanagan0718

Quote from: TNblueshawk on July 27, 2017, 07:54:27 PM
Rented Ghost in a Shell last night. Yeah...well...I didn't rent it for the quality of the movie. I don't recommend it unless you like staring at Scarlett for 2 hours   8)

That's the only reason I would watch this movie!  ;)

Has anyone seen the movie Life? It has Ryan Reynolds in it. Just looking for a review before I rent or buy it,

TNblueshawk

Quote from: flanagan0718 on July 31, 2017, 12:50:48 PM
Rented Ghost in a Shell last night. Yeah...well...I didn't rent it for the quality of the movie. I don't recommend it unless you like staring at Scarlett for 2 hours   8)

Has anyone seen the movie Life? It has Ryan Reynolds in it. Just looking for a review before I rent or buy it,

We went to the walk-in and saw it. I liked it. I like certain sci-fi flicks and this fit my bill. I can recommend it if you like the outer space genre of flicks.

Grab a beer or two, if you drink, get some Skittles, I like to mix sour with tropical, turn up the TV and kick back. Have a pizza ready at the half way point  :)
John

flanagan0718

Quote from: TNblueshawk on July 31, 2017, 05:40:46 PM

We went to the walk-in and saw it. I liked it. I like certain sci-fi flicks and this fit my bill. I can recommend it if you like the outer space genre of flicks.

Grab a beer or two, if you drink, get some Skittles, I like to mix sour with tropical, turn up the TV and kick back. Have a pizza ready at the half way point  :)

Cool Thanks! looks like i'll rent it tonight. Event Horizon is one of my favorites, sounds like this is of the same genre.

-Mike-

TNblueshawk

Quote from: flanagan0718 on July 31, 2017, 07:05:55 PM
Quote from: TNblueshawk on July 31, 2017, 05:40:46 PM

Cool Thanks! looks like i'll rent it tonight. Event Horizon is one of my favorites, sounds like this is of the same genre.

-Mike-

What's the word? You can say it sucked. I can take it  :P
John

flanagan0718

Quote from: TNblueshawk on August 01, 2017, 07:15:04 PM
What's the word? You can say it sucked. I can take it  :P

NO WAY! I really liked it. It was a very cool concept. The score was great too! Definitely better than most of the outer space horror / Sci Fy stuff that's come out recently. I really dug "Calvin" too. The way it moved kind of reminded me of a starfish or octopus. really cool movie.

alanp

I recently heard that "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" is based on Barry Crump's "Wild Pork & Watercress".

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME THIS?!?! Barry Crump is the best author to ever touch ink to paper in New Zealand. I'm pretty sure they'll never make a movie of "Bastards I Have Met", due purely to the name, and "A Good Keen Man" would be a very hard sell and need a superlative editor.

Saw it just now. Aunty Bella is captured perfectly, as is Uncle Hec. Ricky doesn't change physically as much in the movie as he does in Crumpy's work, but he's still great.

The movie isn't as good as the book, but I could just be biased. It's bloody good, though. I liked the reference to Crump's Toyota Hilux ads that he did.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Willybomb

Taika Waititi is directing Thor: Ragnarok, so that should make for an improvement on the past Thor movies...

somnif

Quote from: Willybomb on August 13, 2017, 12:03:11 PM
Taika Waititi is directing Thor: Ragnarok, so that should make for an improvement on the past Thor movies...

He's not JUST directing: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DG7RUW9VYAQsx2y.jpg

alanp

Just saw 'Vertigo'. Hitchcock deserves all his reputation -- no firefights, and I was on the edge of my seat and guessing the whole way through.

No spoilers, other people haven't seen it yet.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

I think I'm either getting old or going soft.

I can't watch the original Home Alone and keep my eyes open the whole time. I'm just feeling sympathetic pain for Harry and Marv too much to even watch the casual violence these days.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

Have a fan movie.

Scarface and Arnold Wesker are among the scariest villains of Batman, in my opinion. Characters like Bane are so over the top that you can disconnect the movie or TV show from real life, very easily. But someone running on pure psychological damage, like Wesker?

It's a fan movie, AFAIK, but the acting is absolutely top notch. Wesker is played to perfection, and while I haven't seen this kind of E. Nigma portrayal before, I'd have to give it a good chance of becoming my headcanon.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

matmosphere

Thanks Alan, I actually enjoyed that more than the Nolan Batman films. Definitely a good take on the Riddler, and a good setup/ plot.

I've seen a few movies lately, but mostly just superheroes and Star Wars.

- justice League was as expected, pretty bad.

- Black Panther was better than I expected. A better story and villain than most of the standalone marvel movies

- Thor Ragnarok was one great hilarious movie with another less great serious movie going on in parallel for the most part. Really enjoyed it.

- infinity war was as good of a movie that had that many moving parts and no ending  could possibly be. Enjoyable but I'm not running out to watch it again anytime soon.

- Last Jedi was a horrible let down to me. A bigger disappointment than the prequels imo. There was some great stuff there but so much that just didn't fit with the mythos of Star Wars. Disney should take a long look at this before it destroys the franchise.

- Solo was lots of fun. Donald Glover inhabits Lando amazingly well. No complaints,  I know they're disappointed it hasn't made more money but I'm pretty sure it has more to do with last Jedi than Solo itself.

- I watched part of I Tonya with my wife the other day. It's a pretty hilarious movie

I need to go see movies that aren't either superheroes or Star Wars.

mjg

Agreed that "I Tonya" was hilarious.  I'd recommend watching the rest of it to see how it ends.  Well, yeah, you probably know how it ends.  The mother of Tonya was an interesting character.