News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Poindexter - Octane shielded wire question!

Started by youngstownguitar, March 19, 2011, 07:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngstownguitar

From the poindexter info:
" This is a noisy effect. Shielded wire is recommended for the effect output"

Has anyone built this before?  How noisy is noisy?

I looked for shielded wire on smallbear but I couldnt find any- Do they sell it or should I buy it from somewhere else?

When it says use shielded wire for the effect output does that mean for every wire connected to the output?

Here is a link:
http://madbeanpedals.com/projects/Poindexter/docs/Poindexter_ver2.5.pdf
Thanks!

Haberdasher

You can use rg-174, which smallbear used to have- if not, it's on ebay I'm sure.
Here's a decent tutorial to give you an idea how to use it.
Also, if you download the big file madbean has up in the library I think there's a simplified illustration in Anderton's book of how to use shielded wire in pedals.  At least I hope I'm right about that...
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

madbean

Couple notes: on version 2.5 try reversing the direction of C1, C4and C11. This is more technically correct and it actually may cut down on some noise, believe it or not.

While building up the prototype I decided to do just that, and my noise floor dropped quite a bit. I'll have some notes on this once the new fabbed board gets here.

stecykmi

The reason you'd use shielded wire is to prevent the wiring from acting like an antenna and picking up noise. This is more of a problem BEFORE a gain stage since any noise you've picked up is also amplified. So if anything, you'd want to shield the input wires and possibly some of the offboard pots. The output wires have no gain stage after them so they're the last thing you'd likely want to go through the trouble of shielding.