News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TV Series - What Are You Watching?

Started by culturejam, February 25, 2014, 07:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

Quote from: m-Kresol on July 20, 2017, 12:38:32 PM
silicon valley is like the american response to IT crowd. If you like british humor and haven't watched it, this is the show for you. and if you liked that, I can recommend "Black books".

I recently watched the current season of house of cards. good stuff.

IT Crowd is brilliant, Black Books is great too. British comedies are generally superior to what we've got in the states.

I've been watching Catastrophe on Amazon. It's pretty hilarious.

teknoman2

IT Crowd was amazing..
I saw a couple months ago 11.22.63 which is based on Stephen King's book.
Also 13 reason's why and Stranger Things are my favorite so far.

Willybomb

Willybomb

Necro revival:

So far, the first episode of Watchmen has been pretty bonkers.

The Boys is a slightly different take on the comic, but is pretty close overall.

matmosphere

Wow, super necro on this.

Haven't seen watchmen yet.

Just finished Good Omens on amazon prime and very much enjoyed it. Based on a book by Gaiman and Prachette and it's just as good and quirky as you could imagine.

thesmokingman

watchmen is all the things ... squid ending, soundtrack is killing it, someone pointing a flashlight at the Tulsa massacre ... Sunday night is rough for me right now ... mr robot's final season, twd (procedural at this point), now I gotta deal with how good Watchmen is.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

somnif

I loved Watchmen's trailer, and I've been looking forward to it (haven't had the spare time to watch just yet), but read a quote by the show runner the other day that has me really worried. Short version: He felt that Ozymandias was absolutely and utterly right in his decision to Squid NY, and that there was no other option.

Which strikes me as such a fundamental misunderstanding of the story, the characters, and the actual on-the-page ending of the comic that I am kinda terrified to have this guy helming the show.

Time will tell I suppose.

pickdropper

Quote from: Matmosphere on October 27, 2019, 01:29:19 AM

Just finished Good Omens on amazon prime and very much enjoyed it. Based on a book by Gaiman and Prachette and it's just as good and quirky as you could imagine.

I'm a big fan of both Giaman and Pratchett.  I've read Good Omens multiple times.  I thought the series was OK, but ultimately was missing a little something.  I was surprised since I enjoy the work of both Tennant and Sheen.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Willybomb

QuoteHe felt that Ozymandias was absolutely and utterly right in his decision to Squid NY, and that there was no other option
I don't think that Rorschach would be massively happy with what's happening either.

matmosphere

Quote from: pickdropper on October 28, 2019, 04:34:47 AM
Quote from: Matmosphere on October 27, 2019, 01:29:19 AM

I'm a big fan of both Giaman and Pratchett.  I've read Good Omens multiple times.  I thought the series was OK, but ultimately was missing a little something.  I was surprised since I enjoy the work of both Tennant and Sheen.

I've not read the book. I generally find adaptations to be lacking if I've read the book, but I more recently I find myself waiting to read books until after watching an adaptation when possible. Gives me a chance to enjoy both because the book is (almost) always better.

midwayfair

Bojack Horseman. I can't believe how consistently, outrageously good the writing is on that show. It reminds me of mid-90s Simpsons with how sharp it is, and it's a crying shame that one of the best and strangest episodes of television I've ever seen didn't win an Emmy last year and lost to a mediocre episode of the Simpsons.

Also Cheers, which holds up.

thesmokingman

The Mandalorian first episode was worth paying for a year's worth of Disney+ to me. Haters are going to piss on it, like everything else, and I'm ok with that.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

dan.schumaker

Quote from: thesmokingman on November 13, 2019, 05:54:07 AM
The Mandalorian first episode was worth paying for a year's worth of Disney+ to me. Haters are going to piss on it, like everything else, and I'm ok with that.

I thought it was pretty good too.  I have been spoiled by wanting to binge it all right away, instead of having to wait three more days till the next episode!

madbean

I decided to relent to the hype and signed up for Disney+ to see if it might be worth a few bucks every month. I thought the first episode of The Mandalorian was pretty great, actually. Werner Herzog and the bounty droid were lots of fun to watch. The only thing I didn't like was the music. It just seemed to be a strange choice, esp. the theme. I'm kind of glad they are not doing a full season dump...it'll be nice not to binge something I like then forget about it in a week.

somnif

Quote from: madbean on November 13, 2019, 06:10:15 PM
I decided to relent to the hype and signed up for Disney+ to see if it might be worth a few bucks every month. I thought the first episode of The Mandalorian was pretty great, actually. Werner Herzog and the bounty droid were lots of fun to watch. The only thing I didn't like was the music. It just seemed to be a strange choice, esp. the theme. I'm kind of glad they are not doing a full season dump...it'll be nice not to binge something I like then forget about it in a week.

Just got caught up with Mandalorian, and yeah, the Music is a little.... overbearing? at times. Like a scene of our protags riding across a desolate plain has this big soaring bombastic score. Something that would've been better suited by something atmospheric and sparse (to mirror the landscape) is instead this big mashup of a full brass section, string accompaniment, and an odd scratchy electric guitar sorta stapled on top of it.

Other tracks feel like someone wanted to do the Tron Legacy Soundtrack and got bored so just buried it under a big pile of "BWAAAAH" sounds.

They haven't quite picked a tone to stick with, even within individual tracks. The western thing could've worked, go full on Ennio Morricone in space. A grunge-y Mad Max junker theme could've worked. A classic John Williams-esque orchestral score could've worked. But instead so far they've tossed all three in a blender and so every track is meandering in tone and confused in focus.

The theme song, for those curious:

[youtube width=640]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXp4GnC1Z3Q[/youtube]