News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TV Series - What Are You Watching?

Started by culturejam, February 25, 2014, 07:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

The new Watchmen series has just been stellar.  Can't wait to see how it winds up.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Willybomb

Everytime I think I'm getting a handle on that, something wacky happens, like paraparazzi with winged flying backpacks getting shot out of the sky with some sort of EMP gun.

alanp

Haven't looked into that at all, is that the Watchmen featuring Rorschach, and Doctor Manhattan?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

somnif

Quote from: alanp on December 02, 2019, 10:29:21 PM
Haven't looked into that at all, is that the Watchmen featuring Rorschach, and Doctor Manhattan?

Its a sequel series to the comic, so some of the characters are around, though not the main focus. (Rorschach kinda accidentally created a "cult", oops?)

matmosphere

Know I'm behind the times but I started the Mandalorian. Three episodes in and I really like the vibe of the show. It gives itself some space to breath, which is great. Stylistically it owes as much to Kurosawa as it does to Star Wars.

Is it just me or is his ship somewhat reminiscent of the Winnebago from Spaceballs?

somnif

Quote from: Matmosphere on January 14, 2020, 01:56:25 AMStylistically it owes as much to Kurosawa as it does to Star Wars.

Specifically, Episode 4 is just Seven Samurai. Nearly note for note.

I enjoyed the series, but the middle drags a bit (imo). Ended on a real high note, though, so looking forward to more.

matmosphere

I haven't seen ep 4 yet, no spoilers

mjg

We signed up to Disney plus for the 7 day free trial, watched the whole season in 5 days, then cancelled.  So yeah, we enjoyed it in our household.  we will have to fork out for Disney plus when they do season 2.   ;D

MTK

Just finished up Enterprise, second time around. Started up Cheers again the other day. Thinking about firing up The Wire. It's been 10 years since I watched that.

You guys watching anything good?

thesmokingman

trying to finish up Jack Ryan ... need to watch the premier of westworld too ... thankfully I have more tv shows ended/ending than I am starting
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Aentons

Quote from: somnif on January 14, 2020, 02:20:13 AM
Quote from: Matmosphere on January 14, 2020, 01:56:25 AMStylistically it owes as much to Kurosawa as it does to Star Wars.

Specifically, Episode 4 is just Seven Samurai. Nearly note for note.

I enjoyed the series, but the middle drags a bit (imo). Ended on a real high note, though, so looking forward to more.

The original Star Wars film was, in part, based on Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress, so it's likely they are just riffin' on that.

I try my best not to give Disney my monies so I haven't actually seen Mandalorian... yet

mjg

Finished watching Carnival Row last night.  It was good!  It became known as the Sweary Fairy Show in our household.  Definitely not one for the kids. 

culturejam

Quote from: Aentons on March 17, 2020, 02:51:24 PM
The original Star Wars film was, in part, based on Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress, so it's likely they are just riffin' on that.
Yep, it's crazy how similar these movies are in some ways. Ep 4 is basically Samurai in Space.

Quote from: AentonsI try my best not to give Disney my monies so I haven't actually seen Mandalorian... yet

It's fucking awesome. I was soooooo skeptical, but man it's good.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

matmosphere

I agree. It was pretty low stakes for Disney though. I'm guessing the people making the show has some creative control.

I've read that there wasn't much creative control with Rise  of Skywalker. I've read the palpatine stuff and the Kylo/Rey thing at the end were mandated by Disney.

culturejam

Quote from: Matmosphere on March 25, 2020, 09:53:29 PM
I agree. It was pretty low stakes for Disney though. I'm guessing the people making the show has some creative control.

If you're talking about Madalorian, it was John Favreau who wrote and produced it. The man is a national treasure as far as I'm concerned.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects