News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New Tape Delay Day (photo links updated - 2018)

Started by culturejam, March 01, 2014, 11:52:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Okay, so it's the "bottom of the barrel" tape delay, and the one I got has got a few issues that need to be sorted out, but I finally got a real, no-joke tape delay.

I was browsing Reverb.com last week, when I saw a listing for a Univox EC-80A...for $100.  :shock: I naturally assumed it was all busted up and non-working, but upon reading the listing, it was indeed in working shape. The issue was that the repeats are "warbly" and "just don't sound right". So I offered $90, and the seller accepted! I messaged the guy a few times and he was really helpful in explaining the issues and what all maintenance he'd already done. And it turns out he grew up very near here (but not lives in WV). Neato!

Turns out the guy thought it was the tape, so he sent the cartridge off to somewhere in Europe to have it re-loaded with new tape, but that didn't fix the sound issues. He also cleaned/lubed the rollers, capstans, and also cleaned the heads. No dice.

I plugged it in earlier, and I definitely here what he was talking about. But it definitely sounds like the tape to me. So I popped the cartridge out, and sure enough I see some crinkle in the tape (all along one edge). So either the tape repacking service ripped this guy off, or there is an alignment issue that is causing the tape to get crinkled in the machine. Guess I'll be schooling myself on how to align tape heads.

Anyway, I have the schematic and looked up some mods/improvements for it. There are a couple obvious / no brainer things to change, such as the outlandishly low-value 4k7 input loading resistor  :shock:  and the pot for delay time can be increased in value to extend the max time (although the stock time ain't too shabby).

I'll update this thread as I make mods and whatnot. The initial sounds I'm getting are promising, though. It's on the lower-fi side of things, but the tape is only 1/8" and I can't bitch too much for a $90 tape delay.  8)

The cartridges are "2-track" format very similar to a pre-recorded cartridge called PlayTape that briefly hit the market in the late 60s, and it is a distant cousin to the much more famous 8-track. Apparently, you can buy a PlayTape off ebay and make a few minor mods to the case and use in the Univox units. I may give that a try as well.

And lucky for me, the biggest stockpile of new old-stock tape heads is located about 15 miles from here. So I may just head over there with the delay and see if I can pick the brain of the guy who owns the business. Who knows what kind of cool stuff that guys has. Here's the site if you're interested: http://www.jrfmagnetics.com/

Side note: This thing is a lot smaller than I thought it would be.   

Here's the back with the cartridge poking out. Looks like Atari!   ;D

Guts!
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

culturejam

I couldn't resist opening up the tape loop cartridge. I think with some practice I could probably replace the tape myself. The tricky parts being connecting the ends of tape together and getting that little loop-back threaded properly (where the tape comes out of the middle of the spool).

hooperharp

extremely cool!! what is the date on that unit?

stevie1556

That is awesome! Hope you get it 100% working without any major problems.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

haveyouseenhim

Can't you read?  It says do not remove screws!   ;D
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

billstein

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on March 01, 2014, 02:47:51 PM
Can't you read?  It says do not remove screws!   ;D

I think we may have one of them rebels in our midst.

selfdestroyer

My buddy had one of them and it was a cool tape delay. It was definitely not as clean as yours but they seems to take a beating. He would make his own custom length tapes. Have fun with it.

Cody

Micpoc

Had one... loved it... miss it! Congrats.

lars

How do you retro-fit an MN3005 for that tape cartridge? It would solve the crinkled tape problem....
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

lincolnic

We have one of those at one of the studios where I work. It's fun! Loud, but fun.

Also, JRF are the guys if you need a tape machine fixed up. I didn't know they were in Jersey!

culturejam

Quote from: lincolnic on March 01, 2014, 10:17:00 PM
Also, JRF are the guys if you need a tape machine fixed up. I didn't know they were in Jersey!

Good to know! Yeah, they are about 15 miles from me.

Leevibe

Wow! $90 WELL spent! I'm jealous.

neve1272

ahh ...score totally jealous 
Kip

raulduke

Nice score dude!

I'd love to own a real tape delay (the potential maintenance woes kind of worry me though).

peAk

oh man, I am so jealous!

great score!