News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New Tape Delay Day (photo links updated - 2018)

Started by culturejam, March 01, 2014, 11:52:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Well don't be jealous! Get you one:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xunivox+echo&_nkw=univox+echo&_sacat=0&_from=R40

$135 buy-it-now, $15 shipping. Comes with a functional tape cartridge. And based on the description, getting back to 100% should* be pretty trivial.

* Sounds like the motor speed is not variable, which suggests the Delay Time pot needs to be replaced or at least cleaned. Since the sellers says there is echo present, it means the motor is working, the flywheel/belt are intact, the record head works, and the playback head works. There's not much else to replace on that thing. But I make no guarantees, so if you buy it and can't fix it, don't get mad at me.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Leevibe

Why you gotta tempt me like that?

peAk

Quote from: culturejam on March 17, 2014, 09:46:18 PM
Well don't be jealous! Get you one:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xunivox+echo&_nkw=univox+echo&_sacat=0&_from=R40

$135 buy-it-now, $15 shipping. Comes with a functional tape cartridge. And based on the description, getting back to 100% should* be pretty trivial.

* Sounds like the motor speed is not variable, which suggests the Delay Time pot needs to be replaced or at least cleaned. Since the sellers says there is echo present, it means the motor is working, the flywheel/belt are intact, the record head works, and the playback head works. There's not much else to replace on that thing. But I make no guarantees, so if you buy it and can't fix it, don't get mad at me.  ;D

when it's fully working, how much delay can you get?

culturejam

Quote from: peAk on March 18, 2014, 09:09:21 AM
when it's fully working, how much delay can you get?

On the EC-80, it's about 350ms-ish. Kinda depends on the individual unit. But, you can use a large value pot for the Delay Time to extend it. I have my EC-100 at about 450ms right now. Keep in mind that like analog delays, longer times means less fidelity. In this case you're slowing down the tape transport, which spreads the audio out less densely, which means less fidelity. But don't kit yourself, these units weren't made for fidelity, even at the highest speed setting.  ;D

Somebody please buy this thing so that I don't break down and end up with three low-fi tape heads.  :o :D

rullywowr

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

culturejam

Quote from: rullywowr on March 18, 2014, 11:10:33 AM
You talked me into it. :)

YES!! Now I have a tape delay buddy.  8)

rullywowr

Quote from: culturejam on March 18, 2014, 11:18:51 AM
Quote from: rullywowr on March 18, 2014, 11:10:33 AM
You talked me into it. :)

YES!! Now I have a tape delay buddy.  8)

Looking forward to it!  Do you have any schematics or repair docs? 

culturejam

I have a schematic for both the EC-80 and EC-100. I will post them in a separate thread.

I've not been able to find any official service manuals. There is a low-res scan of the original user manual (it includes a schematic but it's hard to read because of the size):
http://www.univox.org/schematics.html

What I've been able to fix so far has been through some Googling of forums and also some trial and error. I plan to write up something a bit more formalized and post it once I get more theories verified. That's something we could work on together, if you're interested.

rullywowr

Quote from: culturejam on March 18, 2014, 12:00:39 PM
I have a schematic for both the EC-80 and EC-100. I will post them in a separate thread.

I've not been able to find any official service manuals. There is a low-res scan of the original user manual (it includes a schematic but it's hard to read because of the size):
http://www.univox.org/schematics.html

What I've been able to fix so far has been through some Googling of forums and also some trial and error. I plan to write up something a bit more formalized and post it once I get more theories verified. That's something we could work on together, if you're interested.

Thanks for that.  I'd be glad to help contribute to getting something more formalized created with you.  I intend on changing out the pot, replacing the aging electros and cleaning up the unit.  Haven't seen it yet but am excited!

PS...did you see the one on eBay that sold for $8.00??!?!  omg

culturejam

Quote from: rullywowr on March 18, 2014, 03:21:50 PM
PS...did you see the one on eBay that sold for $8.00??!?!  omg

Uh, no. Man, I just paid more than that for a PlayTape.

culturejam

Okay folks, here's a clip of the EC-100 (motor noise and all). Longest delay setting is possible because of increasing the resistance of the Time pot.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/effdub/univox-ec-100-with-playtape[/soundcloud]

peAk

Not sure if you linked the clip.....unless it's my phone

lincolnic

peAk

ahhh.....so nice!

I hope rullywowr has as much success with his as you have had with yours. That is such a steal at those prices.

I will be watching this thread so please update!!!

peAk

Just wanted an update

Ben, did you get your tap echo?

How did it work?