News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Line 6 DL4 ~ Expression Knob Mod

Started by she sells sea shells, March 11, 2014, 08:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

she sells sea shells

Hello friend and other.

I have line6 dl4 delaying pedal and am wish to add a knob drilled in the side to act as pedal for expressing but just big knob that I touch with my foot and toe.

this is no problem for me but I am unsure how to internally wire this one and jack.

jack is a stereo.

here is image extract from world wide web

jack is on the most left and and wondering lug of which of pot solder to where on this jack

any help is helpful

appreciating
thank

Guitarmageddon

Here you go. :)
By connecting to the lugs indicated the mod should be disabled when an expression pedal is plugged in.
I think this will work, but I'll stress that this is unverified however.
The pot in my line 6 expression pedal is 10k, wired as a variable resistor, but I don't have a DL4 on hand to check this out for sure. It's also for the modulation pedal not a delay, tho it's extremely likely the same.

If what I've drawn doesn't work, it's possible that the switching jack needs to be opened for the expression pedal/knob to function. If this is the case, you'd need to solder to the left hand side of the switching jack and open the contacts.

Let us know how it goes! ;)
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

flanagan0718

I've done a bunch of these. The double preset and ultimate expression. Let me dig and see if I can find my PDF instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

she sells sea shells

thank you much.

the pot is to be a b10k pot I have verify value of this .

I am handy at the solder and drill and etc .

I just need to know how to wire which I do no but thank you this info has given me help

yes I know board posted is mm4 modulate but oh well same setup as dl4 delaying

flanagan0718

What Guitarmageddon posted is somewhat true. Here are a couple of pages that should help. I've done this a few times and it worked every time for me. Make sure you lift the legs of the jack, if you do not then this mod will not work. I do believe you can use "A" or "B" taper but i have always used "B".

Edit: While you are in there take out those awful mountain switches and put in some momentary SPST stomps, you'll bee much happier. Cool LEDs are also a plus!

flanagan0718

Guitarmageddon

Cool! Looks like I was pretty close. :)
Mike, where'd that pdf come from? It looks pretty interesting, any chance of me getting the rest of it?
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

brejna

Quote from: Guitarmageddon on March 13, 2014, 01:24:37 AM
Here you go. :)
By connecting to the lugs indicated the mod should be disabled when an expression pedal is plugged in.
I think this will work, but I'll stress that this is unverified however.
The pot in my line 6 expression pedal is 10k, wired as a variable resistor, but I don't have a DL4 on hand to check this out for sure. It's also for the modulation pedal not a delay, tho it's extremely likely the same.

If what I've drawn doesn't work, it's possible that the switching jack needs to be opened for the expression pedal/knob to function. If this is the case, you'd need to solder to the left hand side of the switching jack and open the contacts.

Let us know how it goes! ;)
This was mine first build ever, so Guitarmageddon you definitely right :)
I am stil using it with mine M9

she sells sea shells

thank you. will try this when part arrive

Doctorjello

Hey sorry for reviving such an ancient topic. This is literally the only place I've seen this specific mod discussed. I'm trying to do the volume pot mod on a DL4. I already did the two resistors. Can someone help clarify the specifics of what's required? The drawings and pics are tough to reconcile.

I've lifted the tabs and jumped the two closest to the edge of the board. I have a B10k pot with 1 and 2 jumped. I am not ready to run my actual lines for the pot yet since I have more work to do internally, so I used alligator clips to test the pot. I get no change. I'm unclear exactly where the pot should attach- the tabs or the contacts underneath. Are there any other tricks? Thanks in advance to anyone from a few years ago still paying attention to this!!

flanagan0718

It's been a long time since I've done one of these. A few questions to start off. Are you doing the full "schabang"? Meaning the double preset and expression mod. Are you using a switch to turn the mods on and off? I've done a bunch of these and started writing my own doc a while back. I'll see if I can find it in the meantime.

Doctorjello

I'm doing a partial shabang. Feedback momentary switch, replacing the four main stomps, shortcut to looper and the volume knob. I already did the two resistors and mine didn't seem to have the four tone caps. I considered the double presets, but I don't need them. If this goes well I'll do it again for a buddy who does need them, but none of the other mods. I appreciate your help!!

flanagan0718

Pm me your email and I'll get you the PDF when I find it.