News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Best boost for metal

Started by Scalymanfish, March 28, 2011, 12:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scalymanfish

I'm looking to add a small circuit to my guitar build for an on-board boost. So far I'm seeing the Fatpants and the SHO as top contenders. If it doesn't fit in 1590a, it's too big. I'd like to skip a traditional volume knob ala EVH and be able to turn the signal off with the boost gain/volume.
I'm gonna try to lay it all out here for my signal chain on this situation:

BKP Aftermath bridge and Cold Sweat neck, around 15k on the bridge and 12k on the neck.
DIY Tubescreamerish OD
Heavily modded 5150. It's close to an ENGL Fireball in it's tight bass response and the fizz and noise has been reduced dramatically.
Playing tight, thick aggressive metal. Mostly palm mutes and pinch harmonics.
Needs to be low noise, if possible.
Don't need gobs of extra volume.
Looking for an open top end and a tight bottom, but a thick sound with open chording.
Trying to stay away from any kind of low end smudging, high-end brittleness or mid-boosting/notches. Just looking for some "more."

Thanks guys, I appreciate your opinions.

Ang3lus

best boost in general i find is the barber clean boost, it just boosts without taking or adding anything, 20db on tap, but not sure there's a schematic/layout available anywhere, operates on 27v internal voltage i think, only pedal that ever stayed on my board without ever thinking about selling.

jtn191

while the SHO is small and low parts count, it doesn't sound like it fits your bill: it's a bit trebly, makes noises as you turn the pot (unless you make a Crackle not ok), and does actually have gobs of extra volume. I happen to like those features, but it seems more classic rock than metal. But try it out if you like what you hear in online demos!

Bored

I like the Fatpants... or the Spackler (is that right) Mid_Boost from Demeter.

jkokura

The amz MOSFET booster is what I'm thinking would work for you.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

aziltz

if you want to stick to madbean projects, I would suggest the Spackler for a nice thick mid-boost.  although, I'm personally not a fan of on-board stuff.  You may find that the hassle of the battery and fact that it takes your hand to activate it a bit frustrating.

maysink

I second the AMZ mosfet (aka 'bean's Thunderpuss)

Don't know if it's the perfect metal booster but it's clean with a smidgen of top end sparkle and gets f'ing LOUD!
[nothing to see here]
-e

Scalymanfish

Going to be fed off the same battery that feeds the piezo buffer and I was just never going to turn it off. I never turn my PA2 off though it's set very low. I'm also looking into a Jackson JE1000 gain booster. Looking at the Thunderpuss scheme with fresh eyes leaves me thinking that may be the solution as well. Nothing fancy, just a hotter signal and easily manipulated for tonal change. I think if I work a highpass set around 50-60HZ into the Thunderpuss(I am really liking that name for some reason), that will be good for me. Keep the unusable mud outta my damn signal. Thunderpuss. ;D

Myramyd

I use a version of the Thunderpuss (mosfet boost) and I think it's exactly what you are looking for. It's not totally neutral but what it adds is just a touch of "sparkle" or "complexity" (totally subjective terms). Just barely noticeable. Not nearly as much presence or treble as the Slambox or Fatpants. Plus it's small.

The most neutral boost I've played through is the MXR Micro Amp IMHO.

But, if you are sharing a battery, you might want to check current draw. Just to make sure...

J

Scalymanfish

Can I run the Thunderpuss on 18V? Are there benefits to be had?

thatirishsob

Did you mod your 5150 yourself or send it out?

Scalymanfish

Modded myself. There's no way I'm paying $400 for a handful of components that I'll end up fine tuning anyways. ;D

Have a bias mod, mid sweep, the noise reduction from the XXX/JSX/Rockmaster Pre installed(which is exactly what FJA does. It's a 3 component mod. 2 diodes and either a fixed or a pot), general revoicing of the input and gain stages and a conversion of the rhythm channel into a second lead that isn't nearly as stiff or thick as the original lead, which I play rhythm with. ??? I use a fendery DIY tube pre for cleans because there's no use pretending the 5150 will ever have a great sounding clean without major sacrifice or surgery. The first unit in my rack is dual input so I use a buffered ABY pedal circuit to switch between the clean pre and the 5150 pre. Best set up I've had yet and it didn't cost a fortune like my former ENGL head.

maysink

Quote from: Scalymanfish on March 28, 2011, 01:35:39 PM
Can I run the Thunderpuss on 18V? Are there benefits to be had?

Absolutely. I did not notice any major difference but I mainly ran it 18v so...
[nothing to see here]
-e

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: aziltz on March 28, 2011, 09:51:16 AM
if you want to stick to madbean projects, I would suggest the Spackler for a nice thick mid-boost. 

This is the one at freestompboxes.com right?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

irmcdermott

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on March 29, 2011, 07:03:33 AM
This is the one at freestompboxes.com right?

you can buy that board here. the doc is over in the "Projects" section of the main page.