News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Best boost for metal

Started by Scalymanfish, March 28, 2011, 12:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scalymanfish

I have found midboosts useful in certain situations, but this one's gotta be pretty flat. BKP Aftermath plus Wenge neck and body = mid city. I think I may be looking at the Fatpants here for this one as a final decision. Extra sparkle up top and some bass if it's needed and I've got the tip on it being very low noise so as long as that holds up, should be in the land of good tone. Anyone care to comment on Fatpants and noise?

pandadandan

Bigger than you possibly wish for, but the Boss FZ-2 is a great boost for metal.  It has a 30db flat-response boost option in addition to the two fuzz options.

Myramyd

Also, if you are throwing that boost in front of an already high-gain situation, it's not going to do anything but create mush. At that point if you need a clean boost to make the volume louder, it would either need to be after the gain pedals or even in your FX Loop if your amp is also high-gain. Otherwise you won't boost volume at all.

J

Scalymanfish

Well I'm not a stick everything on 11 type of guy. ;D  I just like to have my levels "correct" going in and a little shaping if possible on my guitar. A lot of what I did to that 5150 was bleed off some gain between stages to take care of the fizzies and it's overcompressed nature. I'm a nut about hitting things the way I want. High gain, yes, but not mushy in the slightest. Crispy. Like this(it's tame): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7jfigffl1U

So noise on the Fatpants... Anyone have experience to share? Good? Bad? OK, but manageable? Anyone have a Fatpants AND a Thunderpuss?

maysink

IMO, both the fatpants and thunderpuss are fantastic boosts w/ some top end sparkle. I found the FP to have slightly more sparkle and the TP to have more volume on tap. This is completely subjective but the the FP's sparkle struck me as being warmer.

I've only built the original, one-knob FP as I'm anxiously waiting Brian's 100% original mod to the new 2-knob FP (as mentioned here).

I once read the original echoplex preamp added some kind of super-slight phasing to its boost...

I just re-read this and have no idea if it helps! Good thing they're both inexpensive boards!
[nothing to see here]
-e

gtr2

I haven't experienced noise with the fatpants.  But I don't think I would use it in the way you are contemplating.  I just don't think you're going to get the tone your after with this.  While I like supporting Bean I'd consider the AMZ Mosfet Booster instead.  I think Jacob suggested this already.  Here's a link...

http://www.muzique.com/schem/mosfet.htm

He sells fabbed boards for this project as well.

EDIT: This is Madbeans Thunderpuss board..  I feel silly.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer