News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Black Licorice (SMD Oct*via)

Started by wgc, April 04, 2014, 03:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wgc

Hi all!

just back from vacation (anyone else on the monsters of rock cruise? great fun!), and finished this up
an hour or so ago.

It's a neg ground oct*via with smd components, and my own layout, part of what I'm calling "phase 5". 

I was originally going to call this "Licorice Whip", as per the pcb silk screen, but then discovered there
are some gross references attached.  Aside from a few minor pcb tweaks I should make at D4, it went
together pretty well.

The xformer is mounted underneath.  Also tried one of the micro switches.  Not sure how I like the
switch yet but can swap it out if I decide I don't like it.  I may build another using only trim pots through
the back cover.

Also may change out the knobs sometime.

Killer effect, I can see why there's so much interest, besides the obvious Hendrix connection.

(Didn't realize things were so lint-covered until I linked to the pix a few mins ago...)

Thanks for looking!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

jimilee

Daaaammmnnn the transformer is surface mount also?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

wgc

There may be an smd xfmr with the right specs but I decided to go through hole with it, mostly because there was a mouser part and a library for it too
e.e. cummings

jimilee

Quote from: wgc on April 04, 2014, 05:39:18 PM
There may be an smd xfmr with the right specs but I decided to go through hole with it, mostly because there was a mouser part and a library for it too
Gotcha, I see it now
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

sonarchotic

That's a great looking layout! I like the 3pdt mounted on the board. For a 1590a that's handy.

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

junkemail86

The builds on this site are getting ridiculous.  Nice work!

chuckbuick

Nice work, Billy.  Nice PCB and artwork.

wolfingsworth

Really nice work! I can't help but be impressed with anything SMD, and a transformer in a 1590a, crazy! Is the artwork laser etched?

nzCdog

I love black licorice!!!
Sweet build man, nice board layout and art... uber 8)

wgc

Thx guys, high praise coming from this group! Truly heart warming.

Art is laser etched, I'm very fortunate to have access to a laser.

Getting the xfmr in took some doing, so I wouldn't have to use special jacks. The pcb is longer as a result, but ok with me.

Gotta say the pcb mounted switch seems to be cleaner and easier, though it also creates a diving board, which I'm ok with. I think I like the freedom to put the pots where I want more than if they were board mounted instead.

If you have any interest in smd, I'd encourage you to try. I think chromosphere has a beginner kit that I can't imagine being anything less than killer. I think pick dropper did one too. He's got a number of smd pcbs that are awesome, but they are not kits, though he does have shared mouser boms.

I don't have much interest in selling things but I may try to put a little pcb and kit together sometime too if there's any interest.
e.e. cummings