News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Valve overdrive EF 86 / 2x 12AU7

Started by JeffdaMaori, April 01, 2011, 06:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgmezei

Cool thanks for the info. Have you done anything with the sub-mini tubes? I do not know much about them.

But I shall start on the Valvecaster soon hopefully. Any mod recommendations to do right off the bat?

jtn191

:o :o DANG :o :o

I was gonna say it before, but I'll say it now: I love your stuff, gobstopper
Someday I wanna build an amp...someday far, far from today  :P

JeffdaMaori

I've built a submini amp like the "frequency central Murder One" (google will help you there again...) that uses a 6111 as first tube. Fun build; but not an overdrive stompbox.

Mods for the Valvecaster: adjust C1 input cap to taste for more or less bass response, for example 22n rather than 47n for tighter/lesser bass or make that even switchable. Depends on your guitar/amp combination, I ended up with the stock values for my taste.

Cheers for comments again.
Andy

JeffdaMaori

Madbean also mentioned a submini amp at some point as a project for this site here.... would be great!

They're fun things to build and have... the output of the 'Murder One' will be about 0.3 watt I guess; crank it babe...... no trouble with the noise control officer.

Andy

maysink

Wow. That's all I can think to say! You should be proud as hell!
[nothing to see here]
-e

gtr2

Good stuff!  Thanks for sharing.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

JeffdaMaori

Thanks guys, there's tons of great and proud stuff on this forum here.... good to be here!

Cheers
Andy ;D

JeffdaMaori

k.rock!

Wow!!! Dude you are in another level...this looks incredible!!

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

bigmufffuzzwizz

Those look soooo nice!! I'm very impressed sir!
Building/repairing tube amps is why I got into this whole pedal madness and I sometimes wonder if I just heavily distracted myself from what I really wanted to do! I'm still wary working with high voltages but seeing builds like that makes me want to just jump in and start.
Did you use kits to build these? I've looked at ceriatone and some of them seem possible for a beginner. Also AX84 seems like its suited for beginners. What would you recommend?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

JeffdaMaori

Cheers for comments!

I don't wanna turn this into an amp building forum, so keep this brief:
there's a bunch of good ones out there, some of them getting a bit nutty as people discuss the colourshades (and maybe the taste and smell of...) of mustard caps of different periods in Marshall amps and the like.
AX 84 is a good starting point I guess, they alkso have lots of links to other sites.
And definitly read the safety guides for tubeamps on those sites several times and understand how to put it in practise, then you'll be fine. :o

Ceriatone kits are probably not a bad thing, I've built one of theirs (Dumble Clone HRM 50 Overdrive Special) which worked great and was a well presented kit.

The amp and reverb unit on previously posted photo are built from scratch (as in: scratching the parts together from different sources, bending and drilling the chassis, whacking together cab).
The attached photo in this post is of inside of amp.

Cheers

Andy ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Myramyd

Cool stuff man. I've been thinking of an amp build once I  have the cash flow.

What do you think of the Bassman/JTM45 you built in terms of sound?

Does it need to be loud to sound good?

How well does it work as a pedal platform?

I've looked into doing a JTM45 combo to use for practice, which is why I ask. We play at medium volumes.

J

JeffdaMaori

Cheers,
how do you describe sound and if it would be something you'd like?!?

Anyway, to me it sounds killa!
This one is a bit cleaner than the original JTM 45, a mix between Fender Bassman Tweed and Blackface sound, slight breakup with vol increase, wonderful on single coils.
With the tube reverb in front it never fails to wet my girlfriend...

The output transformer is a Sears Silvertone, has just a bit more compression and I dig that.
I used to have a Fender Hotrod Deville and it was the first thing I sold after this did it's first sounds... the Hotrod totally sucked in comparison.
Loud enough in my opinion, keeps up nicely with what I'm doing in band stuff and we sometimes whack it out in spades.
Like many/most single channel old tubedesigns it works great with pedals in front.

Cheers

Andy ;D

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: gobstopper on April 07, 2011, 12:09:46 PM
Like many/most single channel old tubedesigns it works great with pedals in front.

I bet it takes analog delays like a charm!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

dc001013

Sorry for bumping this Very old thread obviously but does anyone have information regarding the EF86 boost? I've an EF86 channel in my amp and have acquired too many EF86/6267s. I'd be interested into looking into EF86 boosts if anyone has any information.