News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

BB Preamp-Andy Timmons Signature Model

Started by PaxWorks, April 05, 2011, 04:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaxWorks

Does anyone know how to mod the Glitterrattii to the spec of The Andy Timmons  Signature Model?

jstbrowsin

Nuno_VanBamsteen

Is there a difference other than paint scheme and A.T.'s sig on the pedal?
"Would I throw a lighted match and turn the gas on if my pal 'Bugsy' was in there?"

jstbrowsin

Quote from: Nuno_VanBamsteen on April 07, 2011, 11:10:59 AM
Is there a difference other than paint scheme and A.T.'s sig on the pedal?
Yup . . . I got this from Timmons Forum.  .

"I have not tried out the BB Plus, but I do know quite a bit about the BB Preamp and the BB AT. There is actually only a few differences in the circuit, although as we know it doesn't take much to change the tone significantly. The BB AT is warmer and more compressed and is based off the original BB Preamp. The only difference in the circuit is 3 transistors that are different. The BB AT is more like a Tubescreamer, whereas the BB is less compressed, more open sounding, and little darker." 

and on the tube  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xUzeLOH0Iw check out especially the tone at about 5mins when he starts playing lead. . . fat open lush tones super sweet.  8)

Would be nice to achieve this, after all this is why I made one. Any idea's anyone???
Brian maybe??  :-*

jkokura

It should be simple then, we just need to find out what transistors they are!

My recommendation is to find someone who has one, and politely ask them to take a look inside and see if they can read the transistor numbers. Otherwise, you could try socketing some transistors and trying any compatible trannies you can think of until you have a sound you're happy with.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

aziltz

Quote from: jstbrowsin on April 07, 2011, 12:11:13 PM
The only difference in the circuit is 3 transistors that are different. The BB AT is more like a Tubescreamer, whereas the BB is less compressed, more open sounding, and little darker." 

But there are only 2 Transistors in the BB to begin with...
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Glitterrattii/docs/Glitterrattii_ver3.5.pdf

I wonder if it uses FET clipping instead of Diodes and that it was just wasn't explained all that clearly.

jkokura

That would give the sound indicated, a different sort of compression and darker.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

aziltz

i don't know how the clipping affects tone, but FET clipping is usually considered more open and uncompressed.  Madbean has the original BB listed as 2 Diodes, which my first guess would be more compressed than FETs, but your experience may vary.

jstbrowsin

Quote from: aziltz on April 07, 2011, 03:46:04 PM
Quote from: jstbrowsin on April 07, 2011, 12:11:13 PM
The only difference in the circuit is 3 transistors that are different. The BB AT is more like a Tubescreamer, whereas the BB is less compressed, more open sounding, and little darker." 

But there are only 2 Transistors in the BB to begin with...
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Glitterrattii/docs/Glitterrattii_ver3.5.pdf

I wonder if it uses FET clipping instead of Diodes and that it was just wasn't explained all that clearly.

Ok thanks for the heads up guys, can anybody suggest possible transistors and fet to use in place of what is there please?
I live in NZ and don't know anybody who has an AT BB pre sadly, but with your input I'm sure we can get close to the tone eh

TIA

jstbrowsin

JeffdaMaori

If you wanna give the fet clipping a go in there I would suggest as transistors 2N7000, maybe in connection with diodes like BAT 41 or 1n34A.
If you have a look at the clipping section of Zendrive or Fulltone RTO (the Madbean version of clipping as in build doc) it'll show you how to implement it in place of the standard clipping.

Hope that helps.

Andy

jstbrowsin

mjcyates

Did anyone ever figure out what changes to make to the Glitteratti to make it comparable to the Andy Timmons model?

jstbrowsin

Oh yeah sorry I didn't get to try it out due to amp issues I had at the time. Now I'm in the process of swotting for EE exams (6 subjects aargh what was I thinking  :'()  so I can't do anything for about at least a month. But give it a go and please report back, it will be easily reversible if it doesn't fit your groove. Otherwise hangout for a month and I'll let you know how it goes for me.
Sorry best I can do.

Quote from: mjcyates on October 14, 2011, 07:32:37 PM
Did anyone ever figure out what changes to make to the Glitteratti to make it comparable to the Andy Timmons model?

baniasty

it's probably a schema from BB mid boost. The gain section is different. It has 4 diodes and a mosfet. The middle section is also added as it was in ts-9.