News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Uncoiled X2

Started by wgc, April 29, 2014, 07:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wgc

I've long wanted a stuck wah.  I didn't want an autowah, just a schenker/sykes kind of stuck wah tone for leads once in a while.  Its partly one of the things that got me into diy pedals. 

So I did a layout for an smd single CS inductorless wah, and it worked (might post that one sometime too, but still a work in process I think).  Though it worked, it sounded a bit thin with distortion and could probably use a buffer. So I may tweak that layout to include a buffer on the pcb.  But I also thought about tweaking a bunch of values, trannies, first too. 

Anyway,  I went back read the technology of wah pedals, which is priceless.  I got to the end of the article, and saw the part about putting two wahs in series. 

"Sounds cool," said I. 

So I did a copy/paste using the schematic for my single wah layout, dropped nets accordingly, and created a double sided layout.  I have since learned a bunch about layouts, and a lot more to go.  I could probably clean this up a bit, but really I'm stoked that it works and gives me the stuck wah sound I was looking for.

So yeah, this is two inductorless wahs in series, the second one has the tap wired so the pot is split midway.  Why?  I figured it might be cool to put one in a traditional wah housing, and then you have a neat option for which pot gets connected to the treadle.

I used "aqua illusion sparkle" powdercoat over black powdercoat, and laser etched graphics to bare metal.  Pics don't really do the aqua illusion justice.  Looks mostly black until you get it in the sun, then emerald green with metal flakes pops out.

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

GrindCustoms

Thanks for the little run throught about how you came up with a dual wah idea.

I guess that i need a Double Gang Treadle pot now! 8)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

icecycle66

Man, do you have a roster of these smd boards somewhere?

They're killer.

rullywowr

Really awesome for "just learning" with SMD too!  Love the built in 3pdt holding the board up too. Cool idea.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

wgc

Thanks guys!

Rej, that is something I was thinking of trying too, might be really cool, or it might "just" sound like an auto wah.  I'm also thinking I may build one with just trim pots, no knobs and then tweak the graphics.

Ice, I don't really have intent to sell pcbs, but I may make some layout tweaks and then either share or make a few available for my cost and shipping once verified.  I'd love to see more people dipping their toes into smd builds. If you're interested send a pm!
e.e. cummings

Droogie

Awesome builds and boards! I'm getting SMD gas too!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

wgc

e.e. cummings

midwayfair

Dude! SMD, laser etched 1590A, full-sized pots, and open jacks! It's a litany of all the tough ways to do this, and it looks fantastic. :) Sounds like a cool project, too.

Leevibe

chuckbuick

Another nice one, Billy.

mmlee

Quote from: midwayfair on April 30, 2014, 06:15:57 AM
Dude! SMD, laser etched 1590A, full-sized pots, and open jacks! It's a litany of all the tough ways to do this, and it looks fantastic. :) Sounds like a cool project, too.

He missed out the large switched dc jack ;)

I'm getting the smd itch too. I wet my whistle with Paul's j201 adapter board things.
>Marcus

culturejam

That's a killer project. Great execution all around.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

wgc

Thx guys, high praise from the awesome builders here!

FYI I usually use the switch dc jacks but don't like the look as much as these.

I'm not sure but I think I could squeeze one in here. ;)
e.e. cummings

nzCdog

Very cool man, nice build 8)