News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Las Vegas Newb Saying Hello

Started by nineknives, July 14, 2014, 11:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nineknives

Hi Madbean friends,

I just ordered the Cupcake compressor PCB and all of the parts needed to create it. I'm super excited to get down to business and start learning about circuitry and electronics.  Are there any other Las Vegas builders out there?  I'd love to make friends with some locals that don't mind a newb tapping into their wisdom.

flanagan0718

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good stuff and people here.  :)

selfdestroyer

Its exciting to see new people take on their first pedal. Have fun with it and I look forward to seeing your build report on it.

Cody

nineknives

I'll definitely report back.  I can't wait for everything to get here.

I already have questions, like, is there some sort of insulation I need to do if I bought a metal DC jack to put on an aluminum housing? 

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jimilee

Welcome! As for your question, you may need a little something between the dc jack and the enclosure, but I'm not sure which DC jack it is. Seems midwayfair had this issue one upon a time.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

upthepunxxx

Welcome amigo! Im out in sunny Los Angeles, but I do make my yearly pilgrimage to Vegas every year in May for Punk Rock Bowling. Maybe I'll run in to you at the Double Down Saloon one year. Happy Building!
Wake up and smell the noise!!

jubal81

Quote from: nineknives on July 14, 2014, 01:09:50 PM
I'll definitely report back.  I can't wait for everything to get here.

I already have questions, like, is there some sort of insulation I need to do if I bought a metal DC jack to put on an aluminum housing?

Welcome aboard. Pedals counter-intuitively use center-pin negative (ground) connection, so a metal DC jack would connect the positive 9V to the case (ground). You need insulated DC jacks - 2.1mm barrel plug.

Smallbear and Mammoth electronics specialize in parts specific for pedal building, so those are good places to look for parts.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

nineknives

In the future I'll definitely be buying insulated jacks, but with my first build OF COURSE I thought I could just make it look and work exactly how I want it to without any problems.  I didn't want to waste the part so I used a nylon shoulder washer with a 3/8" thread.

I received most of my parts yesterday (I can't believe I forgot to order the trimmer!).  I immediately got to work.  I was worried my soldering would be messy, but according to my roommates it's a pretty great first run. 

Once the trimmer gets here I can start wiring her up and testing her out.

Progress pics:

m-Kresol

welcome!
That is a fine soldering job indeed. And you'll see that forgetting one part and having to wait for it or run to a local supplier kinda es a standard thing to do. Once things pile up, you'll have more parts than you can count and most likely you'll have a suitable part lying around.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

flanagan0718

Soldering looks great! Don't be afraid to post in the "HELP I NEED..." forum. People here are real nice and will help if they can! Keep up the good work!

ggarms

Quote from: jimilee on July 14, 2014, 03:32:20 PM
Welcome! As for your question, you may need a little something between the dc jack and the enclosure, but I'm not sure which DC jack it is. Seems midwayfair had this issue one upon a time.

jon had an issue? I don't know if I believe that  :D he seems to be helping to solve them a lot though....

jimilee

Quote from: ggarms on August 14, 2014, 09:19:04 PM
Quote from: jimilee on July 14, 2014, 03:32:20 PM

jon had an issue? I don't know if I believe that  :D he seems to be helping to solve them a lot though....
True story.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.