News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What amp do you run your pedals though?

Started by neiloler, May 14, 2014, 01:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neiloler

So I'm a pedal junkie, and have been for a long time. I've run them into a few different amps, but I sold most of the amps I have as time went on, and then I quit the band scene for a few years, so I didn't really bother with anything big.

Now I'm looking to get back into it, and I'm finding that I'm a bit stumped on what kind of amp to play through. I'm not stumped because I don't get the amp selection, or how they work, just more that I'm just not wanting to pull the trigger on anything, be it production or something I build myself, without it being perfect. ("perfect" here being amazing cleans, amazing dirty channel, FX loop, no lame reverb, etc and blah blah blah)

I figured I should ask you guys what you're running your pedals though right now, just to get a biased opinion, sure, but biased by a bunch of builders and hobbyists that also want to amplify their cool pedal tones. :)
OLERAudio - Sole proprietor, engineer, and goofball

GermanCdn

I'm running about a dozen amps right now (Mesa Boogie, PRS, Traynor, Bogner, Egnater, Vox, H&K, Jet City, and a couple of others).

Best all around amp I own is the Traynor YCV-20.  Both channels are really good, the clean one going from nice and shimmery to pretty thick and crunchy, and the dirty one goes from crunch to roar, and it has a footswitchable boost as well.  Reverb is an Accutronics spring unit, very nice.  Got an effects loop which is pedal friendly (I have other Traynor units which work well with rackmount but not pedals).  Celestion Vintage 30 speaker.  It's loud enough for smaller venues, great for home practicing and recording.  Front end takes overdrives really well.  The only drawback is that it has a shared EQ; if you want separate you can go with the 40W version.

Typically new they go for around $700, but you can usually find them used for under $400.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Haberdasher

i have the little egnater 15w head w matching 112 cab.  cute little thing.  once i put some decent tubes in it i actually like it for pedals quite a bit.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Jmilla

Mesa boogie express 5:25 pretty neutral sounding.

neiloler

Quote from: Haberdasher on May 14, 2014, 02:15:23 PM
i have the little egnater 15w head w matching 112 cab.  cute little thing.  once i put some decent tubes in it i actually like it for pedals quite a bit.

Which Egnater amp?
OLERAudio - Sole proprietor, engineer, and goofball

icecycle66

I run through two of the least intrusive amps out there.

Guitars: Quilter Aviator
Bass: Markbass Little Mark II

mjcyates

Modified Black Heart Little Giant combo at home and Modified Hot Rod Deluxe when I play out.

jkokura

Egnater Tweaker 15 here. I have a combo, but the head and cab are awesome also.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

rullywowr

Fender Blues Deluxe, Egnater Renegade, Marshall JCM2555SL, Princeton 10w ss.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Haberdasher

Quote from: neiloler on May 14, 2014, 02:31:36 PM
Quote from: Haberdasher on May 14, 2014, 02:15:23 PM

Which Egnater amp?
it's the "tweaker"
i hate that name  :o
i leave it on the fender tone stack pretty much all the time and i keep an mxr 10 band eq & pt2399 delay in the loop.  anything i've ever put out front of it has sounded pretty good. 
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jtn191

I have a 5e3 and Ampeg Gemini II chassis. Used to be a Fender Blues Jr. but I sold it. The 5e3 is pretty thick and round, the Gemini II is pretty stiff, clean, and reverby (5e3=cathode/GII=fixed bias). Building a Trainwreck Liverpool, which are supposed to be less pedal friendly due to their touch sensitivity...

upthepunxxx

TubeWorks Pro Value 60 Head through a Marshall 1960A with GT-12 75s. But I'll have to admit I do play through my old Red Bean Pod alot. Ok alot alot. My neighbors prefer it that way...
Wake up and smell the noise!!

davent

Small, house friendly (~3w) homebrew based on David Jones' Octal One which in turn was based on, i believe, the Fender 5C1 Champ. Mine's a 6sj7 (pentode) with selectable coupling caps, into a 6aq5.

http://www.freewebs.com/jonesamps/JonesOctalOne.pdf

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

gordo

Vox Night Train.  Single channel and usually set clean.  The new ones are 2 channel.  Lab Series L5 that has a cool compressor on the power stage.  Some home made mutts including a tweed champ and silverface princeton.  An old Marshall with Torres mods that rarely leaves the house (mostly because it's big and heavy).
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jubal81

I don't have it any more, but I can give a +1 recommendation for the Tweaker 15. I just don't see how it can be beat for the price.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair