News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What amp do you run your pedals though?

Started by neiloler, May 14, 2014, 01:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ckim715

Blues Junior with BillM mods

'67 Bassman drip edge with AA864 conversion done to it :)
-Charlie

Willybomb

I play through one of these.  It triples as my bass amp, and vocal foldback.

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/pro-dj/alto/ts112a-12-inch-800-w-class-d-powered-speaker-sku-91112/

I use the emulated speaker output on my Blackstar HT-Dual, but I'm working on a *amp-in-a-box* that'll act as a front end for the whole thing.

midwayfair

This in the "workshop" for designing, breadboarding, and testing:

It's a hot rod deluxe in a cab built by my dad (it also has a replacement speaker and it had a touch up by a local amp tech, but it's otherwise stock). If it sounds good through that, I know it'll sound great through my main amp (Tone King Imperial), and I also know that it's a fairly common amp, so I'm not designing something that'll only sound good through an esoteric piece of gear.

neiloler

That is a great looking amp, I love the styling!
OLERAudio - Sole proprietor, engineer, and goofball

selfdestroyer

My primary amp is a Fender Twin Reverb RI and I use my '68 Fender Bassman with matching 2X15 cab from time to time when I want a HUGE sound.

Cody

Jabulani Jonny

I have a Guytron GT20 that I bought used from a buddy.  They make amazing amps but they don't keep their website updated.  Alas, I fall in love with this amp on a weekly basis.  It is a two channel amp that sounds phenomenal in both channels and takes pedals well.  It also has an effects loop that doesn't tone suck, a built in sennheiser speaker mic with XLR out, a knob to cut speaker volume by 50,25, 10% or off and a XLR direct out of the head.  I mean, this thing has it all.  It's one of the most amazing amps I've ever seen.  It's a shame they haven't really gotten out much more.  Did I mention that I love it?  I would hump it if the inputs were big enough.   :o :o
Jonathan

neiloler

This has been a great thread to follow, plenty of great input, thanks all!

I traded a bit and I've got a Egnater Tweaker 15 coming to my house soon. For the price I got it at, I can afford to even do snobby things like drop MercMag or Classic Tone transformers in and still be less than new.
OLERAudio - Sole proprietor, engineer, and goofball

aion

Vox AC30 CC2 w/ Lyle Caldwell mods and the London Power power-scaling kit (allows power tube saturation at lower volumes). I also dropped in some Weber Blue Dog 30Ws. It's awesome.

I also have a Lab Series L5 that's a ton of fun as well - I played through that one exclusively for maybe 6 years before I got the AC30 earlier this year.

micromegas

I use my trusty Mesa Boogie MKIII. Buyed it second handed and it's been my one and only tube amp. It works marvelous for cleans, though it is time to change tubes....

Nowadays I find that I need something less heavier, less powerfull and with less controls and I'm already saving for building a Carmen Ghia clone or an Uraltone Jr. Kit
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Clayford

My trusty go to is a Jet City 22H through either a Randall 4x12(rehersal, live) or a Jet City 2x12(home).

Killer toan.

I have a cheap little rogue practice amp and a Marshall with a Preamp tube that I've been known to play pedals through during testing/repair.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

Leevibe

Quote from: Clayford on May 18, 2014, 06:23:22 AM
My trusty go to is a Jet City 22H through either a Randall 4x12(rehersal, live) or a Jet City 2x12(home).

Killer toan.

I have a cheap little rogue practice amp and a Marshall with a Preamp tube that I've been known to play pedals through during testing/repair.

Pretty soon we should see a similar pic but with an extra peg on the headstock?

Clayford

head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

culturejam

I usually test circuit ideas through a Randall RD20. It's the cleanest clean channel I've ever heard, and the loop is made for instrument-level effects. I also run stuff through a Univalve and a Valve Jr.

I'm thinking about getting a Marshall DSL40 combo so I'll have a push-pull EL34 amp to test with.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Matt

I use a runoffgroove ruby for initial testing just to make sure I don't blow something expensive up. (I'm probably just being overly paranoid but better safe than sorry)

But the amps I test through are
Marshall DSL50 head with Mesa 2x12 cabinet
Mesa DC10 combo
Fender Vibrolux Reverb combo
Matt

AntKnee

Surprised there arent more Vox people.
I run a Vox AC50CP 2x12 combo. The clean channel is essentially a basic AC30, the gain channel is awesome. At 50 watts, I gotta crank it to get true tone, but I love it.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".