News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ugly Face

Started by sgmezei, April 11, 2011, 05:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgmezei

I got to play an Ugly Face (design by Escobedo, spelling?) that JD sleep from GGG built for a buddy a few years ago. It sounded like a monsterous disastrous synth-like sound that I need to have. I want to build 2 in one enclosure for myself and my buddy wants me to build him a backup one because he loves it so much.

So there is 3 board orders already. Anyone else interested in an Ugly Face  ;)

juansolo

I tend to build 'em on vero (big fan of the UF). But would certainly grab a PCB if Bean made one (esp if it had the LFO too).
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

bigmufffuzzwizz

Im interested in this one now. Found a vero board layout that doesn't look to crazy! Synth sounds like fun!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

dwstanford

Yeah, I would like one.  I've been meaning to build one of these.

jtn191

+1. I'd put mine in a brown paper bag...

I looked up a demo on youtube and it seemed like it was another weird tweakable fuzz a la Fuzz Factory (eh...which is actually welcome too)

But then crazy happened. And it sounded like a real f'ed up wah solo  ;D

check it: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=70747.0

LudfisterSound

This would be fantastic, especially with the LFO!

bigmufffuzzwizz

That's a clean vero layout!! Thanks for posting that jtn191. I'm kinda suspicious of the other layout I found.

juansolo

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on April 11, 2011, 10:45:22 PM
Im interested in this one now. Found a vero board layout that doesn't look to crazy! Synth sounds like fun!

The LFO section of the vero that's out there doesn't work correctly. It sorta works, but not like it should. It should sound like these clips: 1, 2 & 3. They're not mine by the way, but they're the ones that made me realise mine wasn't working correctly. I ended up binning that section and doing my own LFO.

Likewise these clips from the homewrecker page give an idea of some of the things the Ugly can do on it's own 1, 2 & 3. It's so much more than a fuzz factory (and to be honest a wolf computer is better than a FF also, though much more like one).

Also there is a mistake on the vol pot and some changes that can be made to give frequency pot more range. I have an unverified vero that I've yet to get around to building based on these changes (I also have a verified working LFO that will bolt to an existing ugly face).

I will be building one shortly anyhow and will have a play with it then.

I'll shuffle them onto my webserver and post them up for you to have a go at.

Done it:

Verified working LFO vero. Though the depth pot is better as a trim pot.

Schematic for the above

Not verified combined vero

madbean

This looks like fun. Juan, please feel free to post your vero in the members projects area, too. We can always use more stuff in that section!

juansolo

Quote from: madbean on April 13, 2011, 11:38:23 AM
This looks like fun. Juan, please feel free to post your vero in the members projects area, too. We can always use more stuff in that section!

Lemme build it first just to be sure it works and I will.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Thanks man!! Ive checked out that demo on homewrecker and it is a crazy sounding circuit! I'm gonna have to gather all the documents I have for this build now.  :D

sgmezei

Juansolo you have been great ! Thanks for posting that up.

madbean

[attachment deleted by admin]

jtn191

sweet dude! does this mean it's gonna be one of your projects?

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: jtn191 on April 15, 2011, 03:41:17 AM
sweet dude! does this mean it's gonna be one of your projects?
;D ;D