News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ugly Face

Started by sgmezei, April 10, 2011, 10:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgmezei

hahahaha. Bean, I hope this means yes. And if so we should start a thread of what to name it.

I vote "Radio Face"

juansolo

Quote from: madbean on April 14, 2011, 07:56:39 PM

Looks sweet. Though the depth pot on the LFO is really a bit set and forget. It effects how and where the sens pot reacts with the LFO. I've got it external on mine, but the one I built for someone else has it as a trim pot and I think it works best this way. Good to have the option ether/or I suppose.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

LudfisterSound

Wow, the Organ Doner looks like it will be fantastic! Hope it goes into production.

juansolo

Verified the vero.

I've used an old enclosure that was already drilled for 6 pots (hence depth is a pot when it would normally be a trimmer). It also has a slightly different 386 and vactrol (using up some spare bits), which might explain why it's slightly different to the first two I made (It seems to have a more percussive LFO and there's a point on the threshold dial where it oscillates a bit). Still mad as a box of frogs though.

lots of wires.

sgmezei

That looks awesome!!! I am happy its verified and working as I will finally get some time to build it in the next few weeks.
Great Work. I want to hear it!

bigmufffuzzwizz

Really cool! I see you've added a depth pot as well!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

juansolo

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on April 26, 2011, 08:13:04 PM
Really cool! I see you've added a depth pot as well!

Yeah, I wouldn't normally as it's a set and forget knob most of the time. It's just the enclosure was an old pre-drilled one for 6 pots.

jtn191

really sweet! on my list of things to do...

jimmybjj

Pcbs no longer available

jimmybjj

Pcbs no longer available

LudfisterSound

A simple LFO is all fine and good but how about using a more fantastic multiple waveform LFO with tap tempo? I saw these over at Small Bear:

http://www.moltenvoltage.com/downloads/TW_LFO_Sequencer_-_MV-53_-_Datasheet_-_v2.pdf

Chi_Boy

Quote from: juansolo on April 12, 2011, 11:38:42 PM
Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on April 11, 2011, 03:45:22 PM
Im interested in this one now. Found a vero board layout that doesn't look to crazy! Synth sounds like fun!

The LFO section of the vero that's out there doesn't work correctly. It sorta works, but not like it should. It should sound like these clips: 1, 2 & 3. They're not mine by the way, but they're the ones that made me realise mine wasn't working correctly. I ended up binning that section and doing my own LFO.

Likewise these clips from the homewrecker page give an idea of some of the things the Ugly can do on it's own 1, 2 & 3. It's so much more than a fuzz factory (and to be honest a wolf computer is better than a FF also, though much more like one).

Also there is a mistake on the vol pot and some changes that can be made to give frequency pot more range. I have an unverified vero that I've yet to get around to building based on these changes (I also have a verified working LFO that will bolt to an existing ugly face).

I will be building one shortly anyhow and will have a play with it then.

I'll shuffle them onto my webserver and post them up for you to have a go at.

Done it:

Verified working LFO vero. Though the depth pot is better as a trim pot.

Schematic for the above

Not verified combined vero

Hi Juan,

The links to your layout and schematic appear to be dead.  Would it be a problem to request a refresher on those?

Also, thanks for the heads up on that bum LFO from the other layout.

Cheers,
George

sgmezei

Also, Taylor over at musicpcb just started to offer a board for this type of project.

juansolo

Sorry about that, I'll have been shuffling things around on the server:

Chi_Boy