News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aquaboy - Amphitrite Delay (Finally!)

Started by gtr2, April 11, 2011, 06:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr2

I finally finished up my Aquaboy.  I called her Amphitrite "goddess of the sea".  While I'm not a believer of Greek mythology I thought the name was fitting.  It has the double delay time and modulation mods.  After some tweaking and a lot of miscellaneous troubleshooting it sounds glorious.

The LFO modulation can be switched off via a pull pot switch.  The led at the top indicates both the modulation on/off status and pulses to the modulation speed.

The expression jack controls the repeats/feedback or regen as I called it.  When a plug is inserted, the jack switches out the pot and the amount of repeats are controlled via an expression pedal.

The pedal is switched ON with a "clickless" true bypass setup and it works wonderfully.  The circuit board is available through AMZ effects.  It's really nice having true bypass without the loud click!  This is something I certainly plan on using for other builds.  It cost about $12 total (parts and board).

There are some modifications that I made to both the aquaboy circuit and modulation circuit.  I've got to gather up my random notes and I'll list the changes when I get a chance.

The graphics/font are waterslide decals.

This build ended up being a real bear.  I spent more time on this than I care to think about.  I've had everything from funky socket problems to non-visible wire breaks and this was on top of the distortion I was getting with the bbd setup.  Just boxing this took a few hours and it's not even as neat as I like...

EDIT: Modifications and schematics listed below

Aquaboy board w/ Double Delay Board changes for lower distortion
R? - added a 39k after in series right after c15 per schematic below
R15 - changed to 51k
R31 - With a 15k I can get it to oscillate right near the end of the repeats pots turn (this is based on changing the listed resistors due to the lower bbd input signal)
R19 - 9v regulator  (This is a hair higher than what the data sheet recommends as the max  ;) )
The main power source is powering the pedal is 9v.

Modulation changes - thanks to BOH for the original perf layout BTW! Schematic below
Switch inserted to turn off modulation
Changed speed pot lug wiring so it would go from slow to fast instead of fast to slow
Indicator LED added in series with LFO, this created an indicator light that flashed with the LFO speed
In order to get the LED indicator bright enough I had to change R6 to 10k. 
I also had to change the depth pot to a 500kB to compensate for resistor change/LED brightness

Enjoy!

Josh

[attachment deleted by admin]
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

dbharris

madbean

Whoa! That is some piece of work. Great job!

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

night-B

maysink

All your hard work paid off. She's a beauty!
[nothing to see here]
-e

thetrend77

That's outstanding! What is the font you used, if you don't mind me asking?

jkokura

Quote from: night-butterfly on April 11, 2011, 08:52:15 AM
Woaw! Pedal of the year  ;)

Contender anyway...

Great job Josh! We need a right proper demo.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

Wow! You totally got me with the decal! It looks fantastic.

I second a pedal demo!!!  ;D
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

nzCdog

Far out!  Awesome work... I'm really looking forward to your explanation/demo... ;D

masterlk

lincolnic

sgmezei

Dont be worried about the work and amount of time you put into it because it looks Amazing! Great looking build. I want to hear it!!!

mattpoole

Quote from: sgmezei on April 11, 2011, 08:48:37 PM
I want to hear it!!!

+1

i bet it sounds nice, at least it looks like it would. ;D

gtr2

Thanks everyone!  I'll see what I can do in the next week or so as far as a demo.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer