News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Evil Genius (pickdropper sonic screwdriver pcb) new knobs

Started by wgc, June 12, 2014, 10:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wgc

The last pickdropper pcb I had to build, its a sonic screwdriver fuzz, SMD.

Easy build, sounds really good-  this might be the one that makes me into a fuzz player!  Can't wait to hook it into a warm tube amp.

Crazy times getting all those pots in there, and I finally ordered enough to complete this one.  I need to do something with the knobs on the side, they're a bit too long...

Germanium tranny from Chromosphere, thanks much!

I had the box done a while back, and actually this is probably my first powder coated box. Basic gloss black, nothing fancy but I think I used a little more powder on it than necessary, its a little wavy.  Graphic is stock clip art that I edited a bit and then laser etched.

Keep up the great work Dave!

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

m-Kresol

there has to be awful lot of wiring hidden under the pcb :p Wonderfully done.
I agree with the side knobs... they could be in danger if stomping heavily on the board. It would probably look even better with the metal knobs pickdropper likes to use and maybe theres a small version of it for the sides.
Fwiw, it looks great anyways.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Tremster

wgc

Easy pcb..!  Meaning not many parts, and lots of room to work.  :)

The box, not so easy... ;)

Still fun!
e.e. cummings

wgc

Agree about the knobs!  Haven't found aluminum knobs I really like yet, at least ones that aren't $8 each.
e.e. cummings

pickdropper

Another great build, Billy!

For the side knobs, I agree about the length.  What I do is this:

1.)  Use small skirtless MXR knobs, which are shorter than most knobs. 

2.)  I take an 1/4 End Mill bit and I cut the shaft well deeper in the knob.  I go as far as I can without going through the top of the knob.

3.)  I then take a metal file to shorten the height of the knob shafts.  When you get them to the right length, it helps to break the edges with the file.

The process is a bit of a PITA, but it shortens the knobs which looks better and makes the knobs a bit less likely to get damaged in use.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

wgc

Thanks Dave!  I was thinking I might try turning these knobs down a little at the bottom and redrilling the set screw holes. That does mean cutting a little off the shafts. I might try a dremel cutoff wheel for that, a file otherwise.

At any rate, this approach is giving me some other ideas...
e.e. cummings

pickdropper

I've tried filing, milling and grinding them.  In the end, I went back to filing, which is the biggest PITA.

I actually melted the inside of a 9mm pot with grinding.  That took some talent.
Function f(x)

wgc

Things heat up quick with a grinder!

I will try one with dremel but likely will come down to filing. I expect the trick no matter what is going to be in holding things securely.
e.e. cummings

peAk

wgc

Hi guys

had an idea with the knobs.  I had some aluminum/plastic things I got on ebay a while back, and they were thin enough to trim by hand and then clean up with a file.  I cut the side pots down about 2mm and that made a big difference.

Had to open up the insides of the knobs to get rid of some of the interference fit, still took some doing to get them on.

I like the red in a way, but I think these work a lot better for this build.  Thanks for all the kind words!

e.e. cummings

pickdropper

That looks WAY better, IMHO.  Much more visually balanced.
Function f(x)

davent

I too like the black much better then Davies (clones).

Did something similar to these skirted knobs, sliced off the skirt up to the brass inerts and have a very short, small diameter knob.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

wgc

Thanks guys!  yeah, I like these much better.  The concentric rings on top play off the graphic a lot better.

I use the davies clones a lot, mostly because of the diameter, but don't really like them much. 

Haven't found exactly what I'd like in aluminum at a reasonable price but I have some ideas.  I might try turning a few of my own and see how it goes.  Wish I knew how to anodize...  ;-)

nice job on the slicing davent! thanks for showing...
e.e. cummings