News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need help to debug my pepper spray

Started by trustybs, June 24, 2014, 01:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trustybs

Hello,
i just finished a pepper spray but with the two knobs at max i have very low volume and no gain and almost all the treble is gone.  I checked my soldering twice and i don't see any solder bridge.  I checked also the ground connections and everything seems fine. Also when i use the dpdt switch the sound change (a little bit) so it seems to function. The only thing (except the sound  :) ) is that the led is not as bright as it should be. 

So can anyone give me some advice for other possibilities? 

midwayfair

trustybs

:-[  Yeah you are right, i posted this too fast from frustration!

I always box before i rock and now it's the right time to do things right.  So i'll check things correctly and unbox the thing and if there is still something wrong i'll call for help again.

Bruno

Bret608

Here is one easy thing you can check for. Are you using a 2n3565 for Q2? If so, check its orientation. The silkscreen image seems to lead people (me included, when I first built mine) to reverse the orientation from what it should be. If this has happened, it will lead to low volume and little gain. The flat corner of the transistor case (which corresponds to the emitter) should be facing "northwest" if you're looking at the component side of the board.

Are you getting 9v at your dc jack tip and the PCB 9v pad? Jon is right; that information will help! I hope you get it working successfully.  :)

trustybs

Quote from: Bret608 on June 24, 2014, 03:35:02 PM
Here is one easy thing you can check for. Are you using a 2n3565 for Q2? If so, check its orientation. The silkscreen image seems to lead people (me included, when I first built mine) to reverse the orientation from what it should be. If this has happened, it will lead to low volume and little gain. The flat corner of the transistor case (which corresponds to the emitter) should be facing "northwest" if you're looking at the component side of the board.

Are you getting 9v at your dc jack tip and the PCB 9v pad? Jon is right; that information will help! I hope you get it working successfully.  :)

The orientation of the 2n3565 is the first thing i checked but it do not change anything.

I have 9v between dc jack and the pcb.

Thank you

midwayfair

Quote from: trustybs on June 25, 2014, 08:27:30 PM
I have 9v between dc jack and the pcb.

we need voltages on all the pins of the transistors.

It will also help if you use an audio probe to hear where you're losing signal, and pictures of both sides of the board.

We can't help if we have no information. There are dozens of reasons a pedal could give low volume, and these are the steps we all take to diagnose problems in pedals. The link I posted above has full instructions for a tech help thread so you know what information to post. You can also check out "What to do when it doesn't work" on DIYStompboxes, which is even more thorough.

trustybs

Quote from: midwayfair on June 26, 2014, 12:48:20 PM

We can't help if we have no information. There are dozens of reasons a pedal could give low volume, and these are the steps we all take to diagnose problems in pedals. The link I posted above has full instructions for a tech help thread so you know what information to post. You can also check out "What to do when it doesn't work" on DIYStompboxes, which is even more thorough.

Yes i understand and i was only responding because Bret608 asked and i wanted to reply to him.  But as i stated in my previous post i called for help in a rush and i should not have.  I will take my time and see if i can debug it myself and if i really can't i will ask for help and post the required infos. 
So sorry for the waste of time and thank you for your replies.

trustybs

Hi, just to let you know.  I desoldered my pcb and tested it and found i put a wrong resistor (error #1).  Then i checked the wiring again and the pots and instead of a 50k pots i have put a 5k (error #2).  I must say that Banzaimusic.com made a mistake as they send me 5k instead of 50k but i should have seen it before putting it in the pedal.  Then i re-checked everything, boxed it again and... everything is fine now.
so thanks again for your advice and your time.

Bruno

Bret608

Glad to hear it's working as expected!  :)