News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbag - General Question

Started by madbean, June 28, 2014, 08:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Interested to get some feedback here. What if I were to move the next Dirtbag to a 4x BBD rather than a 2x BBD? So, you could use (4) MN3005 (for 1 second delay), or (4) MN3008 or BL3208 (for 550ms delay)? Would this be worth waiting just a bit longer for the project? It would move the project into probably August.

What do you think?

timbo_93631

Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

madbean

Hmm. Not at the same time. Obviously, I can do DB2 now since it is already planned. To do DB3 (?) at the same time would probably push it even later in the year due to the cost of manufacturing. DB3 would probably be closer to a $20+ board. I am a little reluctant to spend the money manufacturing DB2 if what people really want is DB3, hence the general question.

Matt

I already have two mn3005s on hand waiting for the release of the db2 so I'm biased. Otherwise I would probably be perfectly happy with the db3
Matt

timbo_93631

Would the BBD's be individually biased like the 4xMN3008 reissues?  It would be nice to have something like that so people could use a single 3005 and three 3008's, 4x3008's or something if they can't find pairs of 3005's and don't want to mess with daughterboards.  Honestly, I will buy the boards no matter how they come.  DMM=magic.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

jubal81

I'd think the 4 X 3208 option would be better in the long run and have broader appeal. They're $3.50 each and easily attainable. Everyone could build one.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

mattlee0037

m-Kresol

I'm a little bit bipolar about that question. On the one hand, I'm anxiously waiting for the DB2 and would really like to build a proper MN300x version of it if I find some decent ICs. I guess the 4 BBD version will be even more appealing to some people since it has more options but it will also be a question of costs when you want to build the MN version. Those are costly!
I'm good with whatever you'll do in the end and grab one for sure.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

LaceSensor

I vote for the 4 x chip version, sir.

catfud

I have no holy grail 3005 ICs in my component stash and am far more likely to take on the project if I can obtain its components within a reasonable budget/timeframe. I guess I'm not alone in that.

Muadzin

Quote from: timbo_93631 on June 28, 2014, 09:00:45 PM
Would the BBD's be individually biased like the 4xMN3008 reissues?  It would be nice to have something like that so people could use a single 3005 and three 3008's, 4x3008's or something if they can't find pairs of 3005's and don't want to mess with daughterboards.  Honestly, I will buy the boards no matter how they come.  DMM=magic.

That would be my prefered option as I have one 3005 on the way. But I could live with 4 3008's as well.

And as usual i'm assuming that upcoming in august actually means somewhere in october at best?  ;) Just like the current scheduled releases for june aren't coming this month either?

twin1965

4 x 3008's definitely. 3005's are just not worth trying to source. What about making a delay specifically for the v3205? Without distortion of course!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Scruffie

If you go for 4 x 3008/3208 it'd be perfectly simple to just jump 2 of the BBDs if you didn't want to use them so it makes much more sense in the long run for both 08 & 05 users.
Works at Lectric-FX

muddyfox

Quote from: catfud on June 29, 2014, 01:51:34 AM
I have no holy grail 3005 ICs in my component stash and am far more likely to take on the project if I can obtain its components within a reasonable budget/timeframe. I guess I'm not alone in that.

My thoughts exactly.