News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Russian Germaniums?

Started by JakeFuzz, April 19, 2011, 01:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeFuzz

I really want to build another Ge fuzz face. Just a straight two knobber this time. My current one uses cv7112 mil spec oc140's and really sounds amazing.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the different types of Russian germaniums or the different suppliers? From what I can see there are a couple of inexpensive sources still out there including Gordeluxe and Orpheus on ebay and Evita electronics out of Lithuania. I have read mixed reviews everywhere about the major types. The ones that look suitable are gt308, gt309, gt404, gt402 including others. Most say that the leakage of the NPN types are too high. I am debating whether to get a batch or just stick with the SB transistors. 

stecykmi

I'm sitting on a bunch that I haven't built anything with yet, but I got some gt402N, some gt108b, and a ton of gt308B.

They all test great for leakage (far less on average than most american/british) and are usually really well spec'd for gain (the drawback being that you don't get many 80 / 120 Hfe sets per batch).

The 402's in particular almost all test between 70-90 for Hfe and about 20-50 uA for leakage. They're also huge, bigger than the to220 package.

JakeFuzz

Those 402's look pretty great. Any word on where you picked them up?

There is an old fogey ham radio swap meet down the road from where I live about once a month; might just start buying up 1960's transistor radios and salvage the trannys. 

cjkbug

I've gotten some ac 128's 127's and 187's from a supplier in Bulgaria. forgot the screenname. I'll check and get back to you. they all tested great. I used a 128 in a rangemaster and it sounded really good. I also got 5 mullard oc 81's from a supplier in Germany. saving those for a couple tagboard fuzz projects I've been dreaming up. I only had one dud out of about 20 or so. I had some russian ge's I used in a fuzz face I rebuilt. but I was underwhelmed. They looked like the mullards in  the black glass packages. they had enough gain, but had a really ratty sounding decay. I always use a trim pot to bias them but just couldn't get those ones dialed in. If you find a good source please fill me in. I am always on the hunt for some decent ge's. I been building a pretty decent stash.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

JakeFuzz

Will do if I find something. Someone north of me has a batch of 200 ac128's. I am going to ask if I can go and pick through them!

What I really want to find is the milspec OC140 (the cv7112), this is the best sounding germanium transistor I have heard in a FF. It is also super hard to find. SB has pairs for $24! I have been seeing hit and miss reviews with the Russian stuff, gt308 and 402 seem like pretty sure things but the suppliers are all in Moscow and get mixed reviews from DIY folk. Let me know where you picked up those ac128's, I would be interested in picking some of those up.

Why is this so difficult?!?!  :-\  I am going to start buying germanium wafers and a proxy lithography system and making my own germanium transistors! Haha, any investors?  :D

bigmufffuzzwizz

All this germ mojo! I'd really like to complete a germ fuzzrite but finding the transistors can be such a pain. I wonder if AC128's would work in that project.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

JakeFuzz

Alright so I just contacted this ac127/128 guy. If anyone is interested he is trying to sell the mixed lot (185 total) of Amperex made Ge's for $1 each if you buy the whole thing. I asked if I could drive up and test them on Monday, no reply yet. I would like to buy these but want to make sure this isn't a picked over batch. 

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: JakeFuzz on April 20, 2011, 08:46:22 AM
Alright so I just contacted this ac127/128 guy. If anyone is interested he is trying to sell the mixed lot (185 total) of Amperex made Ge's for $1 each if you buy the whole thing. I asked if I could drive up and test them on Monday, no reply yet. I would like to buy these but want to make sure this isn't a picked over batch. 

I'm interested in going in on this with you. If thats what your asking?

JakeFuzz

I am definitely interested, he lives in Ojai, which is pretty darn far from me. I just really want to make sure they haven't been totally picked over. He says they are from a movie set technician and I don't think he knows how to test them. I am going to see if I can swing by tonight and try them out. If all is good I will buy as many as I can and you guys can get in on it.

bigmufffuzzwizz

I wouldn't mind going with you out there. It is a far drive. Just let me know  :)

cjkbug

I'd take about 25 0f them pm me so I can get your paypal info. I could pay in a day or two.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

stecykmi

Quote from: JakeFuzz on April 19, 2011, 02:37:30 PM
Those 402's look pretty great. Any word on where you picked them up?

There is an old fogey ham radio swap meet down the road from where I live about once a month; might just start buying up 1960's transistor radios and salvage the trannys. 

gordeluxe on fleabay.

JakeFuzz

Quote from: cjkbug on April 20, 2011, 09:38:15 AM
I'd take about 25 0f them pm me so I can get your paypal info. I could pay in a day or two.

I don't think I will have that many good ones out of this batch. I will let you guys know what turns up.

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on April 20, 2011, 09:36:47 AM
I wouldn't mind going with you out there. It is a far drive. Just let me know  :)

Plans aren't set yet, he said he has to check his schedule. I'm down, probably leave around 6pm tonight if he is available. Anyone else want to drive? That's like a $40-50 gas tank for me  ;D.

jkokura

Keep track of your miles and gas, as that will ultimately affect the price per useable tranny.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

JakeFuzz

Yeah I don't think it is worth it anymore. He just sold more than half of the NPN's. Bummer. Maybe I should just get like 20 and test that batch and see if I want to get the rest.