News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just got a new multi-tester you guys might like

Started by culturejam, July 07, 2014, 08:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Firstly: my apologies if this tester has previously been reviewed here.

I sold off my Peak DCA and LCR a while back thinking I could replace them with other things. The DCA I was mostly done with because I thought I'd never be dealing with germanium transistors again, and without leakage, there's no need for a fancy transistor tester (in my opinion). Well, I found myself with a giant pile of germanium trannies, so I went out on the hunt.

Since my last search for a good tester, there have apparently been some developments. There is a great open source microcontroller based project that has been in development over the past year or two, and it has spawned a wide array of cheap but comprehensive component tester products (mostly out of China).

Testers based on this project will test just about everything a DIY pedal junkie could want, and some things you may not even know you want yet. It does BJT transistors (including leakage), FETs, caps, resistors, inductors, diodes, diacs, triacs, thyristors, and a couple other things.

Here's the one I got:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HHPVX2U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I originally ordered the one with a nice enclosure that has a separate set of test leads, but it arrived in non-working condition and I was afraid to order the same one again. So I went with the cheaper unit with no case, and that one worked just fine. There are several options on eBay that use this same code. Some have larger fancier displays, but they all do the same thing.

• For BJTs, it does most of what the Peak DCA does. It determines PNP or NPN, shows which lead is CBE, gives leakage (if any is detected), hFE, and collector-emitter voltage. It doesn't measure the base-emitter voltage drop like the Peak unit, and this is what the Peak uses to determine Germanium vs Silicon (which is a good measure, but can give false positives). But basically you can use this simple rule of thumb: if leakage is detectable, it's a germanium device.

• For FETs, it shows N or P-channel, gate resistance, and a parameter it calls simply "VG", which I hope is VGs. pickdropper and I are going to do some experiments to see how this reading matches up with his Peak DCA Pro.

•Caps are pretty straightforward. You get capacitance rating, and for caps 2u and greater it also measures ESR (equivalent series resistance). It also measures something it calls "Vloss" expressed as a percentage. I'm still trying to figure out what that means, but I will report back on that.

Resistors are very simple: resistance in ohms. :)

Inductors are measured for inductance and effective resistance as well.

I haven't tested anything else yet. For $29, I'm beyond thrilled with the results so far. Seems very consistent and accurate. I would recommend getting one of the models with a case as I previously bought, as I think the finished version is ultimately more usable (and the extra probes are handy).

Here's a pic of mine in action:
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

lincolnic

Quote from: culturejam on July 07, 2014, 08:33:58 PM
It also measures something it calls "Vloss" expressed as a percentage. I'm still trying to figure out what that means, but I will report back on that.

Voltage loss, maybe? Granted, I don't know enough to know if that's even a thing, but it's my best guess.

Thanks for the review, I may pick one of these up.

jtn191

Looks like a great tool! I might need to look into getting one too

culturejam

Again, I recommend you guys get the bigger version with the extra leads and the nice case:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GD4HX98/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just got a bum one when I first ordered and got spooked. But it's a great product.

icecycle66

blearyeyes

I bought one when they first came out and while testing transistors it gives Hfe and Vf a forward Voltage reading.   

I don't see any leakage reading or can that be determined from the above information?

Anybody know?

sturgeo

You've just saved me a heap of money as i was about to buy the LCR & DCA!  :)

muddyfox

I think I mentioned this a few weeks back, I got me this one. Mainly to test smd components (nicely tested on exposed metal bits) and capacitors, but hfe is a nice bonus. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171310003614?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

culturejam

Quote from: blearyeyes on July 08, 2014, 10:30:22 AM
I don't see any leakage reading or can that be determined from the above information?

If no leakage is detected, it doesn't show anything and just goes straight to displaying hFE. If it does detect leakage, it shows that first (ICEO) and then after about 5 seconds the screen scrolls to hFE and VCE.

Quote from: muddyfox on July 08, 2014, 12:14:22 PMMainly to test smd components (nicely tested on exposed metal bits)

The SMD pads are a nice addition, I must say. Most of the newer units based on that same firmware have the SMD pads as well.

peterc

I just bought one of these kits:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181303499014?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D181303499014%26_rdc%3D1

I also have a Peak DCA and the readings have been pretty similar.

Is there anything specific that you want me to compare?

Peter
Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

culturejam

Quote from: peterc on July 09, 2014, 07:35:00 AM
I also have a Peak DCA and the readings have been pretty similar.

Good to know.

Quote from: petercIs there anything specific that you want me to compare?

Mostly just the VGs reading of JFETs. I'm curious if the cheap tester's "VG" parameter is VGs or something else.

sturgeo

I've just received the boxed model to try out.
Seems to work well with most components but struggles with some tayda J201s. Pinouts vary, sometimes display as transistors. "Vg" when shown is consistent though.

twin1965

I was going to spend some money on a Peak but saw this post.

One of these should be arriving quite soon :)

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=281331999069

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

twin1965

This came through the post this morning  :)

It works well but one problem - it doesn't like fresh 9V batteries!

At first I thought it was DOA. Swapped a few batteries and it worked with one that had about 8V.

I'll probably solder a diode to a battery clip and use it to drop the voltage. No point in sending it back to China!
:)

muddyfox

yep, that's what i have. no such battery issues, though?