News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

nucleon super fuzz does not work

Started by pietro_moog, July 20, 2014, 11:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pietro_moog

nucleon super fuzz does not work. the caps are new, transistors too (bc550), all the resistors are at the right place,
the switch is connected. but the thing doesn't work. are these pcbs not good? do they have flaws?
i dont' understand. there is no sound and everything looks good.
any advice?

pietro_moog

post canceled.

the3secondrule

A quick search shows a verified build here:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=13461.0

Maybe let's have your voltages eh?
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

selfdestroyer

Quote from: the3secondrule on July 21, 2014, 02:10:58 AM
A quick search shows a verified build here:
[url][http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=13461.0/url]

Maybe let's have your voltages eh?

Thats my build and it definitely works as it should. This build replaced my vero build and it sounds exactly the same. I have built 3 different Rockhorst layouts and had no issues with them.

Quote from: pietro_moog on July 21, 2014, 02:04:59 AM
cool. supercool.
i did some extensive tests today, and i found out that the power line is completely merged with the ground plan.
good design, very good design. these boards are a scam. the guy should be stopped.

I'm not sure if this was meant to be sarcastic or not but I think you are being a bit harsh about something that has so many variables. I mean, sure, there has been bad PCBs due to manufacturing before but I would not start off with "these boards are a scam. the guy should be stopped".

Hope you get a working build going as this is a great sounding pedal. If you still do not have a working pedal I suggest posting some pictures of the pedal and the voltages of the transistors. Also, did you try a audio probe to see where the output signal stops? Just some ideas.

Cody

pietro_moog

yeah, you are right, i've been a bit harsh. but the thing is this, the board don't have a power line. every resistor is connected to ground. i've seen your build, but it looks like it is a different layout, maybe mine was the second revision. but the thing is that the board is unusable. i removed every component to see what could have been modified, but the power line does not exist. i just want a working super fuzz on a board. this one is not good.

Rockhorst

Hi Pietro
[edited after Pietro edited. Thanks :)]

There's been no revision of the Super Fuzz board if I recall correctly, I've just made one prototype and then ordered a small bulk load of them. Post some pics and with combined efforts we'll sort out what's wrong with it.

Rockhorst

I inspected one of the boards that I still have. The build doc on this is not super complete and with that in mind: what might be going on is that you mistook my silkscreen labeling of the power terminals. There's three square pads in the lower left corner of the board. The bottom two are ground, the top one is +9V. Maybe you've accidentally connected the +9V to the middle pad?

Also, notice in the schematic that the +9V pad is ONLY connected to R30. The top power plane is connected to the other end of R30. That should help with your troubleshooting.

Tremster

Yes, I can confirm that Rockhorst is good people.
Rutger
- answered every email by me quickly and helpfully, no matter how stupid my layman questions were
- helped me debug by email patiently
- gave me three PCBs as a gift when I placed a larger order
- gave me a free expensive NOS germanium transistor as compensation when I had to wait for some time for him to verify a board, though I never said anything about it, and I was not the only one who got that
- is known on this forum as a guy who knows his stuff

My Superfuzz build works.

Tremster

OK, the Superfuzz build doc does not have a wiring diagram. Maybe the names of the solder pads for the wires can get confusing if one's just used to "In, out, 9V, Ground".
Check the build docs for the Atomic Red, Blue or the M Theory to see how Rutger intended them.
Maybe that's it.
?

playpunk

"my legend grows" - playpunk

Bret608

Quote from: Tremster on July 21, 2014, 06:51:35 AM
Yes, I can confirm that Rockhorst is good people.
Rutger
- answered every email by me quickly and helpfully, no matter how stupid my layman questions were
- helped me debug by email patiently
- gave me three PCBs as a gift when I placed a larger order
- gave me a free expensive NOS germanium transistor as compensation when I had to wait for some time for him to verify a board, though I never said anything about it, and I was not the only one who got that
- is known on this forum as a guy who knows his stuff

My Superfuzz build works.

Let me add that my experience has been the same as Tremster's, except that I'm doing the Solar Flare rather than the Superfuzz. Rutger also has a nice demo of his Superfuzz out there--look for "Thoughts about Physics" on YouTube. If you can get it working, that'll help you know if the sound is in the ballpark as well.

Rockhorst

Thanks guys :) This hopefully is comforting to Pietro. Now let's get that pedal pixed :) First thing is I REALLY want a picture of the PCB we're talking about. It might be that he's gotten a V1 Solar Flare (Fuzz Head) by accident, which had a design flaw. Anyway, until I see a photo, we're just guessing here.

Here's the video Bret is referring too:

pietro_moog

let's put it like this: i'll keep my mouth shut and i will give this board another shot, a fresh build

Rockhorst

No, photo please :) may save us both a lot of time and frustration :)

pietro_moog

i don't have a camera right now, nor a fancy phone, just my mac. and the board is deconstructed.
i'll see what i can do