News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

n00b advice needed

Started by muddyfox, July 20, 2014, 11:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddyfox

Not that I haven't built a pedal before  ;D but in all my pedalbuilding never have I built a fuzz pedal.
It's time to put an end to this injustice so I'd ask you kind folk to suggest three fuzz builds (with obtainable parts, I have no desire to go digging for $$$ cans in Russia  ::) ) that best cover the fuzz world. Two extremes and one middle ground would be great!

I do have a JMK Scuba muff board someplace, if that fits into any of the "must build" categories?

alanp

JMK Companion Fuzz for batshit crazy

Grind Customs BendOver Fuzz for Tonebender historicalness (plus it runs on +9V, not -9V, so you can just hook it up to power like every other pedal.)

Lovetone Big Cheese (Plesus' Feta project, don't have the link on me right now) for how damn flexible it is.

Oh, and Rej's Temple of Giants if you like simplicity :D
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

the3secondrule

I'd say a fuzz factory. Not necessarily a "classic" but more of a rite of passage ;) lots of tones in there, and not too picky in terms of transistors.

Definitely a big muff,the scuba is a good choice because it does a good range of tones too.

And for the other extreme, a nasty Japanese fuzz. Maybe a shin ei companion, univox super fuzz, or ibanez standard fuzz.

"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

muddyfox

Excellent! I'll go look those up right now, keep them coming peeps!

Thanks mucho!

mmlee

I love the demo tape fuzz
>Marcus

alanp

Yeah, the demo tape fuzz and f'factory both are good at what they do, but I was trying to go for fabbed projects, not etched ones.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

muddyfox

Right... I should have mentioned it, I prefer fabbed projects if at all possible. I use the acid only as a last resort these days...

the3secondrule

I'm pretty sure Jacob has a project for the fuzz factory ;)

And I've got a board for the Fat Fuzz Factory on the way from OSHpark too

muddyfox

If you end up having one to spare, please hit me with a pm with details?

the3secondrule

Quote from: muddyfox on July 21, 2014, 02:08:17 AM

If you end up having one to spare, please hit me with a pm with details?

Yup, will let you know when it's verified

Willybomb

I have a Sprout (haberdasher etch) you could have as a PIF.

muddyfox

1 knob? I don't have any 1590As.  ;D
Thanks for the offer, though! Much appreciated, will see where the other suggestions take me and maybe I'll take you up on it...

das234

I don't see it mentioned yet but I love my Buzzaround.  Mine's built on the MB Bumblebee with a Road Rage to make it run on a standard power supply.

Willybomb

Doesn't have to go in a 1590a, lol, I couldn't build anything into one of those if I wanted to.

flanagan0718

Mastodon! Love this one! I think the MB version is the Sabertooth. You could also go with the Pudgii. The Pudgii is a Fuzz Factory with a "fat" switch. Cody just built one. Looks cool.