News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cameras & Gear for Video/Audio Demos?

Started by davent, August 03, 2014, 08:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Just curious as to what people are using/recommending for their video demos. I've got a Canon Powershot A630 wwhich works great for stills but video image and sound quality are absolutely deplorable. The other day Cooder put up a demo for his Carmen Ghia build, recorded with an inexpensive little video camera, the quality of which i'd be thrilled to acheive, will explore that camera further.

Cooder's Amp (and camera link)
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=16712.msg159443#msg159443

What other gear are you all using for throwing down quick pedal/amp videos or straight audio demos?

Old short thread on video camera recommendations.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=1934.msg14766#msg14766

Thanks
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

midwayfair

Unless you're going to do sync with an audio interface and a halfway decent microphone setup, it's best to just get the best sound you can out of what you have to work with.

I use a cannon CoolPix L110. My dad tried several different cameras after getting advice on some things that were supposed to have good sound and thought this was the most natural. I know diddly about cameras, photography, and videography in general, but I rarely have real issues with the camera's internal mic except (a) the compressor can SOMETIMES do something weird and warbly and (b) I actually think it's a little too good at masking flaws and noise when it's not compressing the noise to be louder than it really is.

selfdestroyer

I really strugle with this since I can't seem to record something I like or get camera shy and forget how to play anything. lol

One of my favorte members videos is Jurrasic http://www.jurimusic.com/. I asked him what he uses and he responded with
QuoteI'm using a Nikon D3100 for all my photos and videos. Product demos are all stop motion videos because I wanted to get an 8mm film kinda vibe to them.. Making animations is fun but it takes forever to get few minutes worth of material together.

I have a Panasonic HDC-SD90 that I really want to try to use along with Apple Logic but I need to wrap my head around it first.

I am looking forward to seeing others opinions in this thread and hopefully find a good method also. I really want to start making some basic demos that don't feel cheesy or annoying.

Cody

derevaun

Probably the best way to improve image and sound quality is to shoot outside, in the daylight and out of reflective interiors. Or, get way more light in the room than you'd otherwise need. It will allow the aperture to open up, and the shutter speed to increase, cutting down on graininess.

It's pretty hard to find a camera that takes a mic input, but when you find one, it will be a pretty good camera in other respects as well  :P I prefer shooting dual, with an external stationary mic and audio recorder, and syncing them up later. It's more work, but the difference in headphones is substantial compared to an onboard mic.