News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Chromesphere's Decade Box

Started by davent, August 07, 2014, 08:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Have a bunch of half completed projects to get to... strike one from the list.

Had bought a bunch of decade switches from a China source and they sent me half that were parallel switches (not asked for) and half that were series. Bought more of the same series switches from Adafruit so have enough for two resistor decade boxes. One done, used mostly 1/6w resistors and a few 1/4w. (And Adafruit also has(had) a larger version of the switch available.)

Have wired the pararllel switches up with 4 caps each to derive the decade count and figure on boxing each singly but haven't any suitable boxes yet.

Not sure about the decade box termination, European barrier strip -have a lot on hand so used a piece of that.

I have to paint everything sooo... artist acrylics,  dilute gouache paint and a wet toner transfer for the 1590A enclosure.

Counts by ones waaay higher then i ever could.
And thank you Paul for the inspiration!

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Leevibe

selfdestroyer

Dave, you can make anything look cool.. One of the coolest utility pedals I have ever seen.

Cody

GrindCustoms

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

chromesphere

No worries Dave, thank YOU for giving me the motivation to finally build a capacitor decade box :D

its such a handy thing to have around particularly when tinkering with breadboard.   

Oh yeah, be careful with the sub 100 ohm section, when messing around with 9v you can obviously smoke the lower order of that range :D

For anyone wondering, here is the video explaining how to build the resistor decade box.

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

chuckbuick

Super cool.  Gonna add this to the to-do list.  Looks great, too.

juansolo

Once again, ridiculously awesome.  8)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

davent

Thank you guys!

Thanks Paul for the link, hadn't sorted that yet and thank you for the 9v heads-up, will keep that in mind!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

pickdropper

That looks beautiful.  Very nicely executed.

Decade boxes are just incredibly useful for prototyping.  I've been planning on making boards for resistor and capacitor dec boxes but haven't had the time to do it.  Mine certainly won't fit in a 1590a, however as I am planning on putting multiple rotary switches on it. Basically, a more refined version of this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-Variable-Resister-with-1-Million-Settings/
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

davent

Paul if you're still around or anyone else, have you found any particular ranges that are used way more then others? I've got, i think, seven more counters and rather then doing another super-wide ranging box thought two, more restricted version would be handy, a three counter using 100Ω, 1k & 10k's and a four counter that adds in 100k's so they'd count by 100Ω to 99k9 and 999k9.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
dave

chromesphere

Sorry Dave no idea! I think betwwen 10 ohms and 1m is probably all usable. Or u could use them for diode clippers?
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

cooder

Awesome build and looking very nice too! How cool! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

wgc

Gorgeous! I had no idea there was such a thing, but it sure makes sense.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

davent

Got some Hammond 1551P cases to put the cap decade counters into... my other project for the day.

Filed away most of the lip for the switch to fit in, except for a small bub at each end of the slot. Cut a notch into each side of the switch which the nub engages and secures the switch in the slot. Cut to deep and you interfere with the switching mechanism so have to watch out.

dave