News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cherrybomb help...trailing sizzle noise

Started by salty, August 11, 2014, 08:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindCustoms

Quote from: salty on August 12, 2014, 06:50:48 PM
Okay, so I did a quick crappy recording of it using my hand held. I tried to find a setting that accentuated the effect. When I converted it to MP3 and uploaded it to SoundCloud it lost high frequency, but the sound is still there. Now it sounds like it blends into the actual note more than it does in person, but it does show the kind of splatty sizzle I hear with the pedal.

https://soundcloud.com/shane-salty-douglas/overdriver-sizzle

Nothing wrong with that pedal to me now that i hear what you meant, part of the nature of the beast.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

wgc

Yep, agree, sounds about right. 

Btw, I hope you didn't find my earlier comments discouraging. There's a steep learning curve and you did a fine job. I just wanted to give some feedback that I hope you found helpful.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

salty

Cool...Thanks for listening and helping out. I was afraid something was wrong with it.

I totally found your feedback helpful for sure...I have a huge amount to learn and I try my best to be a sponge. :)

Now I get to put it in my CloneSound enclosure. Did not come out as nice as I had hoped....but my Slow Loris one came out much better. This is a fun hobby, I can see I am going to run into some frustration at times and having the members of this forum around really makes that easier to deal with. Thanks a bunch for everyone's help!

salty

Skip that.  It sounds great with the noise on higher gain and I like it, I will just use something else for that medium gain where I do not care for the fizz sound. :)

garfo

Hey Salty, just to tel you that I had the same issue with mine. I went over it millions of times and I remember that once I've put it to work on 18 volts some of the fiziness just went away. I remembered that it annoyed me because I wanted to use it as a slight overdriven boost.
I also used the transistors Brian suggests. I also remember some user on the forum saying that one of the Big electrolytic caps was the other way around. I believe that I tried to turn mine around when i built it but can't remember if the fiziness went away. I just remember that the pedal worked equally no matter how that cap was orientated. Anyway, running on 18 volts could be a solution, just try it. I remember I have built a charge pump to mine. Unfortunately I don't have it anymore, but I'm looking into building another one.

salty

Hey Garfo,

Thanks for the reply! So funny thing about this! I have a pod hd and an M13 that I sometimes use. I have always steered clear of the drives on those units, not that they are totally unusable. Well I remembered that there were a couple of drive models on there that had this weird kind of sizzle sound that I thought was digital clipping or something...low and behold they have a Colorsound Overdriver clone in their and that sound I thought was digital clipping is the model of the sizzle sound the actual circuit makes! I thought that was quite humorous. :)  Took me a while to put 2 and 2 together on that one.

I just had never played a real one before and a lot of the clips of it, the player is not letting the note die off in the way that would demonstrate that sound. I ended up building the Grapevine and a Wampler Black 65 and am very happy with both of them as lower gain overdrives. I have the 8ball and Sparklehorn on deck to build as well. :) I think I am hooked!

I am going to try out the 18 volt idea tonight! I am curious as to what is actually happening that causes that sound though...is it a slow discharge of voltage through the transistors? IF so would there be a way to add a light noise gate after ward to cut it out? Not that I plan on doing this, just kind of curious as to what actually causes that sound.

culturejam

I'm late to the party, but I can confirm that Colorsound OD builds mostly all make this sound on the decay.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

salty

salty

Interestingly enough, I got the pedal back out tonight and ran it through a mildly driven amp and the noise is no detectable. It worked great as a mild bit of gain boost that way as well. Sounded great!

G.G.

It sounds good as a boost and also with the gain up towards the top 3/4, but I really would like to use it as a mid-gain drive and the fizzle is a deal breaker. Maybe I need to use it higher gain instead. Isn't the Black Forest based on a CSOD? Wonder how it compares & how they're different circuit-wise.

garfo

I have played an original power booster, the orange one, and I don't remember making that sound when not using the drive pot too high. I remembered that mine started splattering less when I ran it on 18 volts, but, I could be wrong and be a trick of the mind.
I have also built an Black 65 and love that pedal, I just don't use it an light overdrive because it truly colors the sound, more than the Colorsound ;)

salty

Cool. I have not tried it at 18 yet, but will soon. The Power Booster did run at 18v didn't it? Maybe that is why it did not have as much of that s trail to it. I live in an apartment, so not a lot of amp play time after dark. :( I tend to play through a pod at night and the overdriver sounds great through it, I can't say the same for all drive pedals running into it though.

Agreed about the Black 65, but I run it into a Princeton and can get pretty close to sounding like my amp.

garfo

The one I used I think it was regular 9 volts. They're the same pedal, just labeled different for different markets.

garfo

I've just opened my friend original and it has an extra section. It has an extra fet f245A. Also, the other transistors are Q1: BC182L, Q2: BC184L, Q3:BC182L.