News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

SpacePlex build

Started by 29palms, August 15, 2014, 03:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29palms

Hi All,

this is my first build, a Nocturne Brain Seltzer and Echoplex preamp from tagboard effects in one box. I thought these would be simple enough for a relative noob to build and despite a few hiccups on the brain seltzer I'm pleased with the sound.

The brain seltzer gives a nice clean boost and the tone control adds a bit of twang (I had to change the 100n for 10n to get anything useful from the tone pot).

The echoplex can do clean boost up to a bit of crunch at full gain. I swapped the 3k3 in the layout for a 2k2 in series with a 4k7 pot to get a useable gain control.

I can also get a nice crunch with them both on, kind of like  Angus Young or Pete Townsend with the volume at half on their guitar.

Lessons learned—

1. don't forget to plug the IC into a the socket before testing (what a dumbass!)

2. I need to get better at soldering jacks/switches/pots

3. The box was much more of a PITA than the circuits themselves...

Graphics Fail Two- I used t-shirt paper and it wrinkled up like this  - too much heat?

Graphics Fail Three- Gel medium transfer - didn't use enough gel...

Graphics attempt Four - still looks rough but I couldn't face sanding and trying a fifth time, it's got imperfections, scratches and the varnish has yellowed it a bit so I think I'll say I planned it that way, it's vintage! ;]

here's the guts - I know - the wiring's a mess...

Leevibe

Congrats on getting it working! Man, I LOVE the look you achieved. Your graphics are spot on for a 1980ish look. The distress just makes it look like it's been around a while. I think it's cool that way! Good job being persistent. Keep it up!

gtr2

Looks sweet!  Great work!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

GermanCdn

Nice job.

As far as the lessons learned

1. We've all (and I mean all of us) done that one many times.  I literally have two 68L Rubbermaid containers full of DIY pedals, and I still forget the IC/Transistor/plug in the guitar/plug in the pedal at least once every 5 builds.

2. It comes with time.  Best solution for switches is to go with 3PDT boards, they are really easy to use, fairly inexpensive, and really make your wiring jobs a lot easier and better.  You can get them from Josh (gtr2/1776 effects), Rej (Grindcustoms/grindcustoms fx), Ben (rullywowr/rullywow industries), Paul (chromesphere/I forget his website even though I literally ordered from it this morning) Mammoth, Small Bear, Musikding, Osh Park, etc, etc, etc.

For pots, if they're solder lugs, pre-tin the lugs first (i.e. cover the surface of the lug with solder so you've covered the hole) and tin the ends of the wire.  Then all you have to do is re-heat the solder on the lug and stick the tinned wire through, wait a few seconds, and you've got a nic solid joint.

If they're PCB pin pots (like the Tayda ones), a good investment is some veroboard, cut it into 5(v)X3(h) strips.  You can run your wires into the bottom slots of the vero, then mount it on the pins and solder it up to the pot.

Jacks - there's no easy trick, and they are really dependant on the make of jack.  Make sure you clean the surface and preheat before putting solder to it, or you might end up playing the "follow the solder ball" game.

3. Enclosures - a learned art, besides the artwork.  You'll get there.

Keep up the good work.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

selfdestroyer

Great job 29palms and also hats off to you for sharing your failed attempts. I feel its a great way to not only share what you struggled with and how you overcame it with others but it also helps to remember the final results.

Curtis also gave some great points above and he also demonstrated what makes this forum so successful and approachable. The free flowing information and helpful advice we all give each other.

Cody

wgc

Love the box!  I think many will agree that your lessons learned stay pretty consistent.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Stomptown

Wow! Great job taking on such a complex first build! I love the graphics as well and think you will benefit greatly by all the lessons learned on this one.

29palms

Thanks for the props guys. And thanks for your tips Curtis, I've been tinning the wires but it didn't occur to me to tin the lugs as well.

I was thinking of getting some of  the 3PDT boards— if I wanted to rig two effects again I could connect from  T/S jack out of the first board to T/S jack in of the next?

I'm sure I'll make plenty more mistakes Cody, stay tuned!

OK here's a question— I took this to a mate's house yesterday to demo it to him and when we plugged it in it made a horrible humming noise. I figured something had come loose and it wasn't grounding properly, but when we opened it up we couldn't see anything obvious. We tried different amps, different cables. He has an isolated power supply (unlike me) so I don't think it was that.

The only other thing I did differently was no other pedals chained, (at home I had it after a compressor and before a delay). When I got it home it works fine, although the Echoplex has lost some gain now...

Any thoughts?

thanks,
George

jprizz

That is a fantastic first build. And your "fails" have a certain character about them that I actually dig!

With the hum, it actually could be a few things. I've been had by worn out patch cables, crappy jacks, faulty house wiring, florescent lighting...
just some thoughts.
-Josh