News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Another Pot Question: Fatpants in a Cry Baby

Started by Rich_S, June 02, 2010, 01:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich_S

I'm building a Fatpants into an old Cry Baby shell to make a combination volume/boost pedal.  The Fatpants calls for a 50KB pot, but standard wah pots only come as low as 100K, either audio or ICAR, I assume.  I don't want to get involved in adapting a normal pot, drilling and pinning the shaft, etc.  Also, off-the-shelf wah pots are better sealed and will last longer.  So, I'm stuck with available wah-pot values.

OK...  so if you had to put a 100K pot in the circuit, would you change any other component values, most notably C4 or R6? 

Let's go deeper... let's say you're also putting in a normal pot with the footswitch selecting "knob" or "pedal".  Would you make the normal pot match the slightly off-spec 100K pedal, or use the stock 50K value?

My Small Bear order awaits your wisdom and/or crackpot opinion. ;D

I am using you; am I amusing you? - Martha Johnson

zaxza

I'm no expert but this might help, can someone confirm this?

I think this should reduce the pot value to 50k

irmcdermott

i think the resistor has to be soldered across lugs 1 and 3 for this to happen. i'm going off of what brian told me to do on the Pyledriver I will be building soon. here's the link.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=37.msg171#msg171

madbean

Rich, a 100k pot will work just as well here. 50k is simply the value I chose because it was what sounded good to me. It is only a volume control. If you use the 100k, you could also reduce the 220k just before it to 100k as well to keep roughly the same output impedance.