News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Quite a few of those Dopps up and about, isn't there?

Started by muddyfox, August 18, 2014, 10:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddyfox

There sure is, and here's (finally) mine.

Of course, it doesn't come without a "whoops" moment....
I did half my build before the summer vacation, populated the board and wired the switches in... and then realized I have the wrong p1 and p2 jacks. Fine. Ordered some, labeled the flying wires and left for vacation.
Fast forward three weeks, the jacks are here, solder everything together, plug it in and... nothing. No sound, no light. Thought my supply may be faulty (as it's been acting up lately), plugged in a battery and... nothing. Opened it up, started looking it over and realized the battery was getting kinda warm. Unplugged it, checked the jack with my dmm and there it was. A short circuit. Majorly miffed as I've cut all the wires to size and taking the blasted thing out of the box really was out of question. Unsoldered the dc jack, checked the wires and apparently I mislabeled the wire going from the 9v pad as "-" back before the vacation. Blindly soldering it without double checking was all it took to get a completely dead pedal.  ::)
Luckily there was just enough slack in the wires to make it work, otherwise I'd be having a mother of all headaches right now.

The pedal works fine now. I'm not much of a player (nor have I ever seen a real Lovetone) so I can't really say how well it works. Ian, was there a YT vid of you demonstrating the sound range? I need to hunt it down and compare.
I don't own an expression pedal so I can't comment on that functionality either. First time working with a shielded cable too, so I shielded the input as well for practice sake.

Obligatory crappy pics... no envirotex due to 9mm pots. Overtightened them and it shows on the label. It's bothering me more than it really should but that's my OCD for ya.

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

muddyfox

m-Kresol

That looks amazing! The cover art is simple, yet very effective. I did envirotex mine despite the 9mm pots and just didn't use any nuts there, the 4 switches hold the pcb nicely up to now at least.
Also very tidy inside!
Were do you get these LED "bezels"? I've seen them a lot recently and I really like the looks of those more than blank LEDs and a metal bezel just doesn't fit every build.
Chapeau, my good sir for an excellent build. (Now, start debugging mine :D)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

m-Kresol

Quote from: m-Kresol on August 18, 2014, 10:59:10 AM
Were do you get these LED "bezels"? I've seen them a lot recently and I really like the looks of those more than blank LEDs and a metal bezel just doesn't fit every build.

Scratch that, found it :)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

rullywowr

Totally awesome man!  Neat wiring, great soldering.

Is that bits of green/yellow drinking straw over the LED/LDRs?  Love the "bumble bee" look.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

muddyfox

Thanks Ben!

No, I can't even find plain black straws locally, let alone something funky like this!  ;D
It's just plain electrical tape, cut to measure.

wgc

This is awesome!  Love the gradient with the knobs. 
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

cooder

Fab job! And my Dopp is a constant on my board, great pedal!
BigNoise Amplification

Leevibe

Dang that's nice. Great work in and out. I'm glad you were able to get the power leads sorted without unwinding the whole thing!

muddyfox

Quote from: wgc on August 18, 2014, 05:48:44 PM
This is awesome!  Love the gradient with the knobs.

Thanks!
It just shows that it's a good thing my line of work doesn't include anything artistic. In my head the knobs were supposed to follow the shadows of the silhouette, i.e. yellow, orange, red, red, orange, yellow. When the box was finally completed and the knobs arrived, the original idea turned out to be pretty uneventful so I did it this way and it doesn't look half bad. Too bad it was only damage control and not the original intent.  ::)

pickdropper

Fantastic build.  I really like that artwork for this pedal and the guts are very clean.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper