News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Can I use two stereo jacks for input/output?

Started by uber, August 18, 2014, 04:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uber

So I've been hard at work populating a few Madbean boards and I realized that accidentally ordered Switchcraft 12A and 12B jacks (forgot the 11s, oops!) when I was sourcing my parts for these builds.  I have been searching here and elsewhere to double-check that it doesn't seem like there would be any problem using stereo jacks for both input and output.  I'm thinking that it would only mean that the circuit wouldn't be completed unless both jacks have plugs in them, which is fine.  Nonetheless, I wanted to get someone's input since I very well may be overlooking some other issue.  Also, if it is not a problem, would I have to wire all three of the leads on the other jack, or can I wire it as though it were a mono jack?

Thanks in advance!

jubal81

No problem at all wiring as a mono jack. Just use the continuity tester on your DMM to check which lug is tip and which is connected to the sleeve (outer case).
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

uber

Awesome, thanks so much for the quick reply!

Just to be sure... I  can just leave the ring disconnected on the output jack, right? 

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

uber

Sweet, thanks to you both.  Gonna get this thing rocking now...  Really appreciate the quick replies.