News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Naughty fish X Maxon Af9

Started by harpplayer, August 15, 2014, 12:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harpplayer

Hi there!

Has anyone compared the naughty fish with the Maxon Af9?

As it seems, the Maxon is also based on the Mutron III, with the voltage supply being a major difference (such as for the Naughty fish, anyway).

I want to build a nice envelope filter to use with the harmonica, but the Maxon is the only one that provided good results so far. I have tried a few and built a snow white from Mad Professor which turned out great for the guitar, but not for anything else (more or less on the bass).

The Maxon, on the other hand, works well with just about any kind of input. I have never found its schematic, but I am pretty sure it shouldn´t be much different then the Naughty fish, can anyone confirm?

GrindCustoms

Quote from: harpplayer on August 15, 2014, 12:49:30 PM
Hi there!

Has anyone compared the naughty fish with the Maxon Af9?

As it seems, the Maxon is also based on the Mutron III, with the voltage supply being a major difference (such as for the Naughty fish, anyway).

I want to build a nice envelope filter to use with the harmonica, but the Maxon is the only one that provided good results so far. I have tried a few and built a snow white from Mad Professor which turned out great for the guitar, but not for anything else (more or less on the bass).

The Maxon, on the other hand, works well with just about any kind of input. I have never found its schematic, but I am pretty sure it shouldn´t be much different then the Naughty fish, can anyone confirm?

From what i've seen and heard (played) they are quite similar sound wise, the AF9 is indeed more responsive to different instruments or signal source. By this i mean, that when you find a setting that works great... you can switch of guitar without having to «re-tune» the pedal.

My guess would be that the input buffer on the AF9 is designed differently, how it's designed, that i don't know.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

harpplayer

Tks for the input Grindcustoms!

I am thinking that the gain knob has a different function that the sensitivity has on the maxon. The input desing should make a big difference as well. Dont know if it is worth the trouble to build one now as i am not planningto use it for guitar

GrindCustoms

Quote from: harpplayer on August 16, 2014, 09:00:12 AM
Tks for the input Grindcustoms!

I am thinking that the gain knob has a different function that the sensitivity has on the maxon. The input desing should make a big difference as well. Dont know if it is worth the trouble to build one now as i am not planningto use it for guitar

It always worth the trouble, that way you end up working out the layout for your particular need and the whole community will likely benefit of those search and tunings. ;)

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

harpplayer

Yes! My only objection now is that the current Real x USD rates are very unfavorable, and I´ll have to get several parts from smallbear. If only I had the chance to try a mutron to get a better idea...