Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbag Deluxe 3?

Started by agoldoor, August 28, 2014, 02:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddog

Quote from: m-Kresol on September 23, 2014, 06:55:01 AM
Quote from: knauerj on September 23, 2014, 05:21:49 AM
Any recommendations for buying MN3008s? I saw them on small bear, but $80 for 4 chips is pretty pricey. I wanted to go ahead and buy them in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just ordered 4 last week from Paul.
http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=123

11$ a piece, each verified. He's fast as well! Just 7 left.. get them while they're still warm.

Looks like they are all out. If you are reading this Paul, are you planning on restocking?

chromesphere

Hey man, I have just reordered another lot of mn's today! Usually takes about 2-3 weeks to receive and test, ill try and remember to update this thread when they are available again!
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

teknoman2

Quote from: dan.schumaker on September 23, 2014, 06:15:07 AM
I think people have had good luck ordering from here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MN3008-Original-Panasonic-Matsushita-8P-DIP-IC-2-pcs-/291175702355?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43cb6c9f53

Some confirmation on this would be appreciated (I kinda want someone to confirm before I buy from him too)

I ve bought a couple of pairs from this seller and waiting to get them on my hands and test them.
The only reason I bought from him is why Paul's BBD were out of stock.
I believe the safest way to go is to buy them from Paul's e-store. Legit and fast shipping.
Since there is a new BBD project here I believe Paul will stock some more chips.

Cheers,
Panos.

dan.schumaker

I'm all in with everyone else.  I just got my pair.  The listing said 15 sold in the last 24 hours, so I think we are all in this together :)

lincolnic

And now they're sold out! Guess I'll be looking elsewhere.

Stomptown

I got my pair if mn3098s and they work as expected and were packaged decent. They were Mitsubishi instead of Panasonic which was unexpected. Looks like they are sold out but hopefully this helps anyone who grabbed them before they ran out.

ggarms

That's so good to see. I snagged a set from this seller and just got em in the mail today! Can't wait!

LaceSensor

Hi

From my understanding the only thing that would prevent 4 x MN3005 would be a clocking issue

Any time I have messed with this concept it has worked however. Example 1 was on Aqua Puss builds (MN3101 clock) and in that case you are only driving 1 chip (or 2 with a daughter board) and that worked. Alternatively, Ive used 2 x double MN3008 boards on a Dirtbag v2 and that worked too, but the delay time wasnt as long - not sure if thats just the chips, the way I tuned the trimmers, or something else. In any case, it worked.

Scruffie

Quote from: LaceSensor on September 30, 2014, 02:32:06 AM
Hi

From my understanding the only thing that would prevent 4 x MN3005 would be a clocking issue

But I spy a spot for a 4049 buffer on Beans prototype, which should allow that :)

There's no reason 4 x MN3008 should give a shorter delay than 2 x 3005 as long as the clock cap value is correct.
Works at Lectric-FX

LaceSensor

Quote from: Scruffie on September 30, 2014, 02:57:36 AM
Hi

But I spy a spot for a 4049 buffer on Beans prototype, which should allow that :)

There's no reason 4 x MN3008 should give a shorter delay than 2 x 3005 as long as the clock cap value is correct.

cool

wrt the time, I imagine it was just poorly calibrated or my imagination, or both.

FWIW, the real DMM I just fixed up with your help has a heap of delay time; its 4 x MN3008
Im my dirtbag I ended up subbing a 330pF for the clock cap (which, IIRC, was meant to be 240pF) it gets really noisy at the long times, but sounds cool. Thats 2 x MN3005.

mean_dorris

Quote from: Scruffie on September 30, 2014, 02:57:36 AM
Hi

That sounds like good news! I certainly don't mind paying the extra for another 2 x MN3005 if it means my delay will be that much more kickass; but I gotta know that it's going to work, first! Maybe some kind of confirmation from .. er.. the build docs or something.. ?  ;)

I think I have a reliable source for them, but I'd like to be able to pull the trigger on it before said source dries up entirely.

IMO, the DM-2 et al just don't have the same magic.

aballen

So 4x3005 gets 1100ms.... Just need tap tempo now :)

madbean

Here is the status update:
4xMN3008 tested and confirmed. Sounds great. I did do a couple of mods to mess with the companding to improve the attack/release response.
4xBL3208 tested but not confirmed. Having an issue with distortion coming out of the output of the third BBD. Not sure of the problem yet. Everything else about it seems to sound good...running it at 12v with 10v on the BBDs for a little extra headroom.
MN3008/MN3005 mix not yet tested.

I'll be finishing it up this week I think. Lastly, I will compare the builds to my 4xSAD1024 vintage unit and the modern Memory Boy to get some benchmarks.

Scruffie

Quote from: madbean on September 30, 2014, 07:38:20 AM
Here is the status update:
4xMN3008 tested and confirmed. Sounds great. I did do a couple of mods to mess with the companding to improve the attack/release response.
4xBL3208 tested but not confirmed. Having an issue with distortion coming out of the output of the third BBD. Not sure of the problem yet. Everything else about it seems to sound good...running it at 12v with 10v on the BBDs for a little extra headroom.
MN3008/MN3005 mix not yet tested.

I'll be finishing it up this week I think. Lastly, I will compare the builds to my 4xSAD1024 vintage unit and the modern Memory Boy to get some benchmarks.
When you run at 12V with 10V on the BBDs, what voltage do you have the clock at? It should be the same voltage as the BBDs. Also, regards the clock buffer, how do you have the inverters set up? In this case I would think all 3 in parallel would be the better choice over the standard flanger 1 in to 2.
Works at Lectric-FX

mean_dorris