News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbag Deluxe 3?

Started by agoldoor, August 28, 2014, 02:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aballen

Any BBDs I have gotten my hands on have been recycled.  The only matching ones I have are fake MN3005.   

Stomptown

Quote from: lincolnic on October 06, 2014, 10:56:29 AM
I got my four MN3008s today from our popular eBay seller, but they weren't packaged with any ESD protection. Since the Dirtbag 3 still has yet to be released, I don't have any circuits to test them in. Is there any other way I can check to see if they're working/real?

They also all have the same production code stamped on them, which seems a little suspect. Anyone else who ordered chips from the relisting, how did your chips turn out?

I bought 2 weeks ago. All were Mitsubishi and had the same production code (they were the shiny black plastic ones).  I also ordered 2 chips a few months ago and both of those were panasonic and had matching codes.  All 6 are real and work as expected in my Aquaboy.  The only difference is they packaged all of mine in ESD tubes.  I'm not sure why they are not consistently doing this.  It's really the main downfall. If you need someone to verify them for you I'd be willing to help out...

Govmnt_Lacky

Just got mine....

All inside an ESD tube however, the ends of the tube were taped with scotch tape AND the whole tube was taped to a piece of cardboard.  ::)

Needless to say, I am not excited about ripping the tape away from the cardboard and tube to generate that good 'ole static electricity  :o

All pieces are stamped with a number 9, then a "D" with a line over it, then... a bit further away... a number 6. Plastic casing with shiny smooth outline and the leads look clean.

Don't currently have a circuit to test them in so I look forward to either rejoicing -OR- cussing in the not-too distant future  :P

agoldoor

Ugh, yeah, I've bought a lot of BBDs in the past year, and a vast majority of them were packaged just as you mentioned, in a tube with tape on both ends.

lincolnic

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on October 06, 2014, 02:10:38 PM
Just got mine....

All inside an ESD tube however, the ends of the tube were taped with scotch tape AND the whole tube was taped to a piece of cardboard.  ::)

Needless to say, I am not excited about ripping the tape away from the cardboard and tube to generate that good 'ole static electricity  :o

All pieces are stamped with a number 9, then a "D" with a line over it, then... a bit further away... a number 6. Plastic casing with shiny smooth outline and the leads look clean.

Don't currently have a circuit to test them in so I look forward to either rejoicing -OR- cussing in the not-too distant future  :P

Yep, that's the same package I got. I guess we'll sink or swim together!

Quote from: Stomptown on October 06, 2014, 12:09:37 PM
If you need someone to verify them for you I'd be willing to help out...

Thanks Jon, but it seems a little excessive to ship them across the country and back just for that (I'm in Brooklyn). Maybe I'll see if someone has an appropriate build to verify locally...

Stomptown

Quote from: agoldoor on October 06, 2014, 03:25:25 PM
Ugh, yeah, I've bought a lot of BBDs in the past year, and a vast majority of them were packaged just as you mentioned, in a tube with tape on both ends.

This! I've bought 6 MN3005s and 8 MN3008s  in the past 2 years and excerpt for a pair of each purchased here on the forum all gave had taped ends. Luckily they all worked! 

aballen

I already have a problem, the auction was 2 peices for $12:50, ordered 2 for $25.00 meaning 4 pieces, and guess what, I got two in the mail, not 4.  sigh.

aballen

They do look NOS though rather than pulled from something, so maybe no need to worry about the dates... will see.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: aballen on October 07, 2014, 10:11:37 AM
I already have a problem, the auction was 2 peices for $12:50, ordered 2 for $25.00 meaning 4 pieces, and guess what, I got two in the mail, not 4.  sigh.

Does your purchase history reflect a 2 quantity order? (4 pieces) I know you probably already checked but... figured I would ask.

If so... sounds like yo need to be messaging somebody...  :-\

aballen

Yeah I did and crazy enough he acknowledged a mistake on his part and he will be send ing out the other two.  Good customer service is so hard to come by these days, I'm almost knocked over when I get it!

aballen

Ok so another question on the Dirtbag.  No, not when is going to be released.

On my current dirtbag(which is awesome) I have a switch for vibe/chorus.  Is it worth putting a pot here like the original?  If so what kind of pot assuming a linear pot, but which one 10k, 100k, 1M?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: aballen on October 08, 2014, 05:28:55 AM
If so what kind of pot assuming a linear pot, but which one 10k, 100k, 1M?

100KB

madbean

Quote from: aballen on October 08, 2014, 05:28:55 AM
Ok so another question on the Dirtbag.  No, not when is going to be released.

On my current dirtbag(which is awesome) I have a switch for vibe/chorus.  Is it worth putting a pot here like the original?  If so what kind of pot assuming a linear pot, but which one 10k, 100k, 1M?

I'm not aware of the DMM ever using a pot to blend between these caps, but I don't know every version they've ever done, either. The standard modulation control is for depth. The DB3 also has a rate control. But a 100kB for frequency control like GL suggested would work, I think. If you are doing that you might even go further with the two caps and use 4u7 and 220n in place of 2u2 and 470n.

Govmnt_Lacky

Did a bit of looking. The pot value and schematic are easy to find...

As you can see, the Chorus/Vibrato pot is not a "substitute" for the toggle. IT is actually an additional control feature.

Scruffie

The chorus-vibrato pot is just a depth control as Bean said, otherwise why would there still be the chorus-vibrato toggle up top, it's just the name of the pot.

The DMM LFO is fairly standard really, so for a rate control it would replace (with resistance in series) the 910k resistor from pin 1 to 6 of the LFO OpAmp with a 1MC pot and ditch the toggle using just the 4u7 caps.
Works at Lectric-FX