News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbag Deluxe 3?

Started by agoldoor, August 28, 2014, 02:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Yeah, the way it is labeled on the DMM is confusing. To "modern" eyes it appears to be an blend control rather than a depth control.

For the rate, I've got it set up just like Scruffie mentioned. The stopper resistor I've picked is actually pretty high at 120k but it gives it plenty of range. It gets ridiculously fast. I think I will see if I have room for an LED indicator on it as well.

Also, Scruffie, you mentioned about running the clock and LFO on the same voltages earlier in the thread. Agreed. That makes much more sense. Luckily it is an easy adjustment. That was an oversight on my part. On the MN3008 proto it does not have an impact in noise or performance but there is no reason not to do this esp. if we start getting into split rails for different voltages on the BL3208.

Govmnt_Lacky

Just a heads up Brian....

Although they are still somewhat readily available... Belling has STOPPED producing the BL3208. They are only manufacturing the 3207 for now.

madbean

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on October 08, 2014, 07:35:41 AM
Just a heads up Brian....

Although they are still somewhat readily available... Belling has STOPPED producing the BL3208. They are only manufacturing the 3207 for now.

Oh yeah, I know. It's disappointing. But, they are still available for now through eBay etc. I got several good ones just a couple of weeks ago. I will also be posting an adapter board on OSH park so you can use the smaller BL3208a chips.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: madbean on October 08, 2014, 07:42:27 AM
I will also be posting an adapter board on OSH park so you can use the smaller BL3208a chips.

These are also out of production sadly  :-\

I believe the only BBD chips you can get with longer than 1024 stages (and still in production) is Cool Audio... Ugg  ::)

aballen

I was looking an a newer DMM.  Seems they don't have a switch anymore.  I see what you guys are saying though.  The DBD has a switch just like the early DMM, and modulation control in a pot.

madbean

It might a rotary. Dunno. In any case, it is worth checking out what a blend would be like there. I'll look into it an report my findings.

The thing that is curious about the BL3208 is that EHX is using them in the Memory Boy. So, I wonder what prompted the discontinuation since they must buy them by the ton (it takes four for each one). Maybe EHX is developing their own BBD? Who knows.

Govmnt_Lacky

Correct me if I am wrong but... I believe that IS a switch on the new model. Instead of a slide switch, they used a rotary.

Quote from: madbean on October 08, 2014, 07:52:14 AM
The thing that is curious about the BL3208 is that EHX is using them in the Memory Boy. So, I wonder what prompted the discontinuation since they must buy them by the ton (it takes four for each one). Maybe EHX is developing their own BBD? Who knows.

You may be right however, I can confirm that Belling no longer makes a 2048 or 4096-stage BBD. I have seen other "brands" in pedals before though. (for some reason... CD3208 sounds familiar)

aballen

Ok maybe I'm blind,  is there a switch in that pic I posted?

kothoma

Looks like a rotary switch to me, too.
For a potentiometer it would point a bit below 0.

Edit: The manual confirms this.

Scruffie

Quote from: madbean on October 08, 2014, 07:52:14 AM
It might a rotary. Dunno. In any case, it is worth checking out what a blend would be like there. I'll look into it an report my findings.

MXR use them too, maybe they're only accepting industrial sized orders now?

Ah well, V3208D is still good.
Works at Lectric-FX

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Scruffie on October 08, 2014, 07:59:07 AM
MXR use them too, maybe they're only accepting industrial sized orders now?

I actually contacted Belling while doing research for work. They told me straight up that they do not manufacture them anymore. For any quantity. So, if MXR and EHX are using them they are either second-hand bulk purchases OR another brand (Chinese??)

Ah well, V3208D is still good.

As long as they do not have the static and noise issues that the long run of V3205s had.  :-\

madbean

I did get a few of the V3208 from SMB recently but have not tried them yet. These are from the batch that was supposedly QA'd by Ed Rembold, or whatever. But, I think they are also 5v unlike the BL's which are 10v or so. Or, maybe that doesn't matter that much.

Scruffie

Quote from: madbean on October 08, 2014, 08:07:51 AM
I did get a few of the V3208 from SMB recently but have not tried them yet. These are from the batch that was supposedly QA'd by Ed Rembold, or whatever. But, I think they are also 5v unlike the BL's which are 10v or so. Or, maybe that doesn't matter that much.
They should be 10V too.

Yes the issue was with the 3205, smallbear has stopped stocking them until coolaudio gets through their current batch of bad chips (I think Steve might have said November for the new lot which shouldn't have the issues fingers crossed) far as I know, the 08 are perfectly fine.

Quite possible as an end of line thing EHX & MXR just bought up huge quantities of stock and sourced more from brokers then to supplement, guessing a lot were made over the years, probably enough for them to keep the pedals in production for a few years, I mean EHX is still using MN3008 and they've been gone at least 15 years now. It's very possible down the line new chips will be produced or they'll just use coolaudio, I know MXR have 3204 produced for them (I suspect by Coolaudio as they are v3204).

Quote from: madbean on October 08, 2014, 07:32:20 AM
Also, Scruffie, you mentioned about running the clock and LFO on the same voltages earlier in the thread. Agreed. That makes much more sense. Luckily it is an easy adjustment. That was an oversight on my part. On the MN3008 proto it does not have an impact in noise or performance but there is no reason not to do this esp. if we start getting into split rails for different voltages on the BL3208.
Yeah that was mainly for using BL3208, you don't want the LFO running at the 15V and the clock at 10V but it's fine for the 3008 too.
Works at Lectric-FX

aballen

Quote from: kothoma on October 08, 2014, 07:56:37 AM
Looks like a rotary switch to me, too.
For a potentiometer it would point a bit below 0.

Edit: The manual confirms this.

I stand corrected.  A two position rotary... Why?  Are they more reliable than switches?

kothoma

Quote from: aballen on October 08, 2014, 05:40:44 PM
A two position rotary... Why?  Are they more reliable than switches?

I wouldn't know. Perhaps aesthetics? Or uniformity? Many of their newer pedals have a 6 knobs in a row theme.