News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Boomstick

Started by night-B, May 01, 2011, 10:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

night-B

I just finished a boomstick from a wonderful fabbed pcb. Easy to solder, it worked correctly after wiring.
I used fairchild Bs170. All the caps are from panasonic.
Once again I'm pleased by the zvex distortions. This one has a vintage feeling with a lot of grain, in the spirit of old marshalls.
As usual I used my spaghetti wiring method  :P
Enclosure is black hammertone from PPP.

[attachment deleted by admin]

bigmufffuzzwizz

If it sounds like an old marshall, that rules!
OOh that is some spaghetti. A speciality? Jk  ;D
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

night-B

My italian roots  ;)
Seriously I try each time to improve my wiring but it's always messy with too long wires  :-\

bigmufffuzzwizz

It wasn't until I saw John Lyons(Basic Audio) builds that I really was in awe about how clean his wiring it. I certainly follow what I believe he does. Instead of trying to measure the wire beforehand or just adding way to much extra, I found another method to work for me. I solder one side of the wire in and then use the roll connected to measure how much I'm gonna need to run it cleanly along the floor of the enclosure, then snip and it will fit perfectly.  :)

night-B

Thanks! I'll try it

gtr2

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on May 04, 2011, 07:29:23 AM
It wasn't until I saw John Lyons(Basic Audio) builds that I really was in awe about how clean his wiring it. I certainly follow what I believe he does. Instead of trying to measure the wire beforehand or just adding way to much extra, I found another method to work for me. I solder one side of the wire in and then use the roll connected to measure how much I'm gonna need to run it cleanly along the floor of the enclosure, then snip and it will fit perfectly.  :)

Any pics?  I'd like to see your method in action  ;D

Plus, congrats on a successful build Julien!
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

night-B

Thanks Josh!
I wonder if some builders screw everything to the enclosure and do the pot jacks and switch wiring in the box.
I never tried that but I think it would be hard to solder, but the wiring will be very neat and everything will hold in place by itself...
I usually pre-cut my wires with too much extra...

thetrend77

Quote from: night-butterfly on May 04, 2011, 08:24:51 AM
Thanks Josh!
I wonder if some builders screw everything to the enclosure and do the pot jacks and switch wiring in the box.
I never tried that but I think it would be hard to solder, but the wiring will be very neat and everything will hold in place by itself...

That's how I do mine.

bigmufffuzzwizz

I put the pieces in place in the order needed. I tryed to start with the footswitch or pots, then the board and jacks and finally I leave the dc plug for last. I'll make a little photo demo next time I wire up a pedal for you Josh. But in the meantime here's a finished product!

[attachment deleted by admin]

gtr2

Cool, no need for a photo shoot!  I just like to see everyone's different method to the madness  ;)

Always looking for an edge... :D

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer